Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

1997 Monte Carlo Z34 Idling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Default 1997 Monte Carlo Z34 Idling Problem

Hey everyone,

I'm having a pretty serious idle problem with my 1997 Monte Carlo Z34.

The problem i'm having is when i start my car up, regardless of the temperature, the rpms shoot up to 3 or 4000 and slowly come back down to around 900. This also only happens if i give it some gas while starting up.

If i dont press my acceleration pedal while starting the car up, it will eventually turn on, but the rpms will drop right back down to 0 and the car will turn right off.

The really aggrivating problem is when the car is stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, or when coasting under 20mph without accelerating, the power steering turns off and the engine shuts down, causing me to have to come to a stop and restart the engine, starting the cycle all over again.

I have replaced my MassAirFlow sensor, my ThrottlePositionSensor, cleaned out the throttle body, and repaired a leak in the connector that connects my FuelPressureRegulator hose to my throttle body. Each of these replacements seemed to work or correct the problem for about a day, but the problems would start right back up again the next.

The codes that i got when having the diagnostic tool hooked up were

P0121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance and and P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow.

The next part i was advised to check/replace is my Idle Air Control Valve. I have to drive back to MD from SC, about an 8 hour drive, next week, and really need to get my car in shape by then. Any comments or suggestions about what to do next? I would greatly appriciate it.

Gotta love them monte carlos...!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM

idk man it sounds like a severe misfire, or vacum leak. the only problem i ever had with the lumina was with the egr. seems like others are having the same problem.

i know i hate when i have to fix my car but it happens. theres another thread on the same subject, with about 100 diferent responses. i would take it to a mechanic and bite the 25-50 bullet. its probly a small filter or sensor.

i dont get electronic engines, all they do is break b4 they diagnose the problem.