Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Home Stretch for the Whipple Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Was having a hard time getting both videos in one post. Here is the other. I did order some switch labels from Jegs, the Moroso brand. They came in a few days ago and they forgot to print any words on it at all. Ended up with like 20 clear stickers, lol. Hopefully round 2 will actually have words on them....

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-07-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Excellent work, digging the single 3" too!

I wish I had a Vette as a DD lol. I know I'd be pissed if a loud Vette came by at 3:45 AM, but the sound of it would likely make up for the wake up call.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Was having a hard time getting both videos in one post. Here is the other. I did order some switch labels from Jegs, the Moroso brand. They came in a few days ago and they forgot to print any words on it at all. Ended up with like 20 clear stickers, lol. Hopefully round 2 will actually have words on them....

https://youtu.be/08zYuBkndiM
LOL, funny but not so far fetched anymore it would seem, you order switch labels and they send you blanks... The world is doomed.

Your car sounds so wicked, the little of it you let us hear, you have created a monster Dr. Frankenstein.

Have read where your daily temps are crazy high, kind of saps ones energy for sure. I lived there in Mesa for 09 years, never even had a vehicle with a/c. Life was brutal and one can stay skinny down there for sure, sweating it out.

Really a nice custom solution for your switches location. very clean looking, race car ready with-in reach, you nailed it. Great job, your whole build is like way out there. No one is happier than you to see the progress, yet we are pretty dang excited to see this beast stirring out of it's slumber.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sounds good and healthy man! idle seems a little rough but you will get there once tuning starts, i cant wait to see videos of this thing!

Old 06-08-2015, 02:10 PM

it sounds mean Bumpin! cant wait to see a video of it on the strip

Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
I wish I had a Vette as a DD lol. I know I'd be pissed if a loud Vette came by at 3:45 AM, but the sound of it would likely make up for the wake up call.
I try to mix it up between driving the vette and the GXP for DD duty. If I drive the vette more than a few weeks in a row, I start getting bored with the power. The GP is kinda nice since it's such a different car, but still has enough pep to keep it interesting.

I really do try to keep it as quiet as I can in the morning with the vette though, practically idle it out of the subdivision. Not much I can do about that first rpm jump when it fires up cold though

Your car sounds so wicked, the little of it you let us hear, you have created a monster Dr. Frankenstein.
Thanks, much appreciated as always!

Have read where your daily temps are crazy high, kind of saps ones energy for sure. I lived there in Mesa for 09 years, never even had a vehicle with a/c. Life was brutal and one can stay skinny down there for sure, sweating it out.
I dunno how you did that. We've got one guy at work that's got a pretty heavily modded soft top Jeep with no AC, and same for a few hardcore motorcycle guys that ride almost every single day. I don't know how they do it, especially when it's by choice like that. They could surely afford a $5k beater with AC when they've got $30k+ tied up in a Jeep. The people I feel bad for are those that can't afford the option to buy a car with AC or fix their existing car - especially those with little kids. I guess it could be worse- some people walk / ride their bicycle even!

Really a nice custom solution for your switches location. very clean looking, race car ready with-in reach, you nailed it. Great job, your whole build is like way out there. No one is happier than you to see the progress, yet we are pretty dang excited to see this beast stirring out of it's slumber.
Thanks. I struggled with what to do with them. I used to run my switches in the center console, but since the hinge broke (AGAIN!!!!), I'm embarrassed to have to ever open it. They don't have to be super accessible since they aren't really used a ton. The critical stuff (water pump, fuel pumps, etc) kick on with ignition power also- so the switch is just if you want to run it without the car being turned on (ie running the fans/IC pump for additional cool down after running), or to cycle the pumps before startup to make sure they're all functioning.

I still haven't figured out what to do about a stereo after my big system got stolen. I've still got 8x nice 6.5"s with crossovers, and an audiocontrol line driver, but everything else is gone. They cut both sets of my nice RCAs too. The main speakers are too nice to just run them off crappy head unit power, but I don't really want to get into a new amp and such now. I know it looks kinda odd with fiberglassed door panels for 2 6.5"s each, and no head unit at all I guess for now, at least the switch panel will fill that open space.

I was really shocked how expensive switches have gotten (especially for a simple SPST switch). I went to the usual car parts places, and they wanted $4-10 per switch, and only had 2 of each type. I ended up going online and buying them there. Except for the underhood LEDs, and the fuel pump max speed switch - everything else runs through a relay, so the actual current going through the switches is super low. I did refrain from hooking up the LEDs though. 1 of those was super bright in the dark, I couldn't imagine all 6 lit up at once...

sounds good and healthy man! idle seems a little rough but you will get there once tuning starts, i cant wait to see videos of this thing!
Yeah, it's still basically on a stock map. I reset all of my previous tuning when I did this round of mods since I changed so much. Obviously it's adjusted for the MAF size, larger injectors, and E85- but it definitely needs dialed in. I did do a small flash since the last video since I had the MAF values wrong, and decided to get too greedy with the idle settings. I dropped them a little too low for having the tune that far out of whack, so it keeps trying to idle down until it almost dies and the IAC overshoots to keep it alive. I'll bump it up a little next time I flash it.

Once I get the TB cable bracket done, I'll be able to actually drive it which will help collect data for starting to get the tune more dialed in.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-08-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:05 PM
15 Year Member

TB cable bracket is done and installed. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it works nicely. Also integrated a mount for the FPR into it too. The FPR is being held in place by the AN fittings, I just didn't want it to work the fittings loose over time. This way its weight is carried partially by the bracket and it also won't be able to rotate/unscrew without unbolting it.

In progress:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

All welded together with a little bondo to help smooth it out, most of the way through sanding at this point:

[IMG][/IMG]

Finished, paint came out kinda poor- I dropped it by accident after I painted it the first time. I should've let it fully dry and then sand the spots back down, but I opted just to just do a quick wet sand and re-spray. Oh well, doesn't look too bad

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Installed:

[IMG][/IMG]

Still need to make some kind of simple TB cable routing holder as the cable runs between the accessory belt and SC belt. There is ample clearance from either, but I'd just like to make a basic holder so it would be impossible for the cable to contact either belt. Perhaps I can modify the stock one somehow to make it work.

Also looking for a place for the catch cans as they're the last item that needs a mount made up. I'm eyeballing a spot in front of the air filter- about where the stock airbox would suck from. Looks like there is sufficient space, I just ran out of time this weekend.

I did get everything else finished up under the back half of the car (except wheel studs, but I can do those later since none of the rears are broken), so I took the back end off the rollers and put it back on the ground. Got the coilovers adjusted back where I want them too (had them cranked max up so I could work under the car without jacking it up). She should at least be ready for a trip around the block as it is now, as soon as we get a cooler day.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-21-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

So much customization man... Lovin it!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 PM

wow this is just crazy the amount of thought, and fabrication into this build. very different route for sure. but so awesome its not even funny. great work bumpin, youre defintiely on the home stretch for sure. just have the little piddly things to tinker with

Old 06-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Looking good professor, so close you can just feel the start date coming at you like a freight train... Best of luck to you!!

Quick Reply: Home Stretch for the Whipple Build