Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Holley EFI Dominator Engine Management going in

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Holley EFI Dominator Engine Management going in

Being revealed here is an upgrade over the OEM air fuel control plus other parameters. Time to get serious...Pulling out all the stops and going for complete control over all aspects of the engine air / fuel, turbo, water meth, transmission etc. and try to move my cars power band up a few notches.

So here comes the "Holley EFI Dominator ECU" for this car. We believe this will take my car to a whole new level, providing the ability to tweak the components in ways where we can unleash power even way down at low boost.

The MAF air meter will be gone too, yeah, been running the ABACO Digital MAF Air Meter and it was an good upgrade, but now it goes into the trash heap, . This is a custom build kit from Holley, even a special harness they offer permitting precise control of the transmission.

Turbo Monte plays a mean game, and plays it very well. You make it hard to keep up to you Johnny, always pushing the envelope brother. I cannot get 700whp, but boy were going to be knocking on your door. Hopefully we can out control you and take you out with management, lol.

Here is some info about the the ECU:

Dominator® EFI Vehicle Management Systems are intended for all engine applications, from street to unlimited high-end racing applications. In addition to the transmission control, drive by wire, and dual wideband oxygen sensor options, Dominator® systems have nearly unlimited capabilities to control any power adder, input, or output you can throw at them. Need to run a turbocharged, nitrous injected 8 cylinder running water-methanol injection? No problem with Dominator® EFI. How about control a 4L60E transmission as well as the fuel and spark on your street rod? No problem. There are also enough inputs and outputs to allow the Dominator® VMSs to serve as their own data acquisition and control module. The Dominator® VMS will eliminate the need for additional controllers as they are all contained in this one unit. The only thing limiting the Dominator® Vehicle Management System is your imagination! Dominator EFI systems are sold “Build to Order”.

Additionally, off comes the Weldon frame mounted fuel pump. Replacing it will be a new A/C Delco "CTS-V" fuel pump. We will be installing a fuel tank from an 07 Monte Carlo which the pump will drop right in and bolt right up to. All the aftermarket braided fuel lines are coming off and a complete overhaul of the fuel system is in order. Already running 80lbs Siemens Injectors, so they will be staying.

Name:  DSCF8193_zpslqkx2br7.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  643.1 KB

Name:  DSCF8192_zpskekswhzv.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  565.9 KB

Name:  DSCF8189_zpsnsgoleim.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  551.1 KB

Name:  DSCF8196_zpspnpgpzt0.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  549.3 KB

Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow!!!
You and John are always taking it up a notch and on the cutting edge. Thanks for keeping it interesting!
Sorry for the dumb question from this stock guy, but how is the mix sensed/regulated without a MAF?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Sorry for the dumb question from this stock guy, but how is the mix sensed/regulated without a MAF?
Without a MAF, you can control fueling via the MAP sensor and RPM. Even though you're not directly measuring the airflow, you tune it to know how much air to expect at X rpm and Y MAP value (be that vacuum or boost).

I don't know anything about the Holley setup specifically, but I assume that's what it uses.

That's actually what the stock pcm uses if there are certain types of failures (ie MAF comes unplugged / fails completely) It can default to running off the map sensor instead as its got a completely separate set of tables for that.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Dang!!! More big HP mods!!! Awesome stuff!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Without a MAF, you can control fueling via the MAP sensor and RPM. Even though you're not directly measuring the airflow, you tune it to know how much air to expect at X rpm and Y MAP value (be that vacuum or boost).

I don't know anything about the Holley setup specifically, but I assume that's what it uses.

That's actually what the stock pcm uses if there are certain types of failures (ie MAF comes unplugged / fails completely) It can default to running off the map sensor instead as its got a completely separate set of tables for that.
Ah Ha! Thanks for the education bumpin, that makes sense.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Very cool! Never thought about the CTS-V fuel pump... Wonder what the wife would say if her fuel pump went "missing".

So this Holly stuff, if that allowing them to tune speed density now?

You may need bigger injectors also, I am probably gonna need bigger ones also and I currently have 80# ones too.

Curious to see how this works for you!!! Good luck my friend, let's both keep the whp bar going up

Old 01-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Very cool! Never thought about the CTS-V fuel pump... Wonder what the wife would say if her fuel pump went "missing".

So this Holly stuff, if that allowing them to tune speed density now?

Yes it will tune speed density method., also read the TurboCharger section, this can be made to function as a Anti-Lag system.

•Speed density, Alpha-N, Alpha-N Combination, and VE fueling strategies – Tuner has the option to select from a variety of load sensing strategies to meet their engine requirements or tuning preference
•Individual cylinder fuel and spark control allows you to unlock your engine’s potential
•Unique lb/hr based fueling strategy greatly simplifies and commonizes tuning
•Advanced idle, closed loop, and enrichment strategies allow for very stable engine operation
•1-5 Bar MAP sensor capability – For naturally aspirated or boosted applications
•Fuel Map and Learn Function Smoothing – Helps to smooth rough areas of the maps
TURBOCHARGER BOOST CONTROL
•Fully featured boost control capability eliminates the need for a separate boost control device
•Can be configured to control boost based on time, gear, speed, and manual inputs
•Gear based boost control configurable by several different methods
•“Boost Builder” functions offer the ability to assist building boost on the starting line by altering ignition timing, fueling, as well as nitrous oxide activation. Can also be used as an Anti-Lag function

•Fuel Map and Learn Function Smoothing – Helps to smooth rough areas of the maps
•Configurable User Password Protection – “Lock” your tune to prevent tampering
•Self-tuning fuel table strategy greatly simplifies tuning process – The more you drive it, the more it learns
•“Quick Start” strategies – For faster engine starting
•Allows for use of common OEM sensors as well as custom sensor calibration input
•Two channel knock control sensor inputs for both one or two wire knock sensors
•Dedicated fuel and oil pressure inputs
•Controls both stepper and PWM Idle Air Control (IAC) motors
•3 Rev Limiters – Choose between 4 options for each: Fuel Only, Spark Only, Fuel and Spark, or Soft
•Traction Control – Allows power reduction via timing, nitrous percentage or boost (Requires Davis Technologies Holley Module)
•Store and select between four calibrations with Multi Map Selector (Part Number 558-407)

INTEGRATED WATER/METHANOL INJECTION CONTROL
•Uses Holley water/meth solenoids specially designed and calibrated for use with this EFI system to allow the user to enter water/meth flow as a percentage of fuel injector flow for water/meth tuning precision unmatched in the industry
•Allows for two nozzles to be controlled
•Nozzles available from 400 to 1000 cc/min
•Complete control of pump activation, and low system safety features

You may need bigger injectors also, I am probably gonna need bigger ones also and I currently have 80# ones too.
Glad you mentioned that, will bring that issue up with Matt, Thanks John

Curious to see how this works for you!!! Good luck my friend, let's both keep the whp bar going up
Would be sweet to see us climb the ladder independently and still both have monster Monte's.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:10 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

The final piece of the puzzle arrived today, figured what the heck. Will make it easier to tune the system and will not need to have a laptop to tune / adjust parameters from now on. Transmission adjustments, water / meth adjustments and many others.

Name:  DSCF1125_zps65jhgcix.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  629.6 KB

Name:  DSCF1132_zpsju3nvs71.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  568.0 KB

Name:  DSCF1126_zpsl9bmpc5d.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  566.0 KB

Also figured I may as well get new tires, my others were about 50% gone and the fronts were starting to get small cracks in the sidewalls. BF Goodrich Sport Comp TA's , 255-50-16's

Name:  DSCF1116_zpsjuliclxy.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  657.3 KB

Old 05-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Curious to hear how those tires hook up with all that power. I figured you would've had to have gone to a drag radial to put down all that power you're making!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Curious to hear how those tires hook up with all that power. I figured you would've had to have gone to a drag radial to put down all that power you're making!
The tires actually do very well overall. They are meant for aggressive driving, pretty soft compound. Think I'm lucky to get 15k miles from them, but they are cheap enough.

I do have Hoosier Drag radials already mounted on matching wheels. For a additional fee they were even heat cycled by Tire rack when purchased. Just have not had them on the car for 2 years now. Would swap them out at the track as it is over 60 miles one way and as you know they come with like zero tread.