Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

High pitched noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Default High pitched noise

Hi Everyone,

First post......... I'm not sure if this is the right place for this........ Heck, I don't even have the right car! I have a 2005 Impala LS. Close enough I guess.

Anyway, I sometimes hear a high pitched noise under light to moderate acceleration. I stumbled accross a Technical Service Bulletin about a "Whistle under light acceleration". Couldn't find out anything more. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm supposed to be taking the car on a vacation to Florida (leaving September 10th). Hope it won't be a problem.

Also, I sometimes get traction control engaging when I first start out. Put the car in gear and start to go, the light comes on (and I feel it). Take my foot off the gas and it goes away. Seems most likely to happen when I back out of a parking space and then start to go forward. Never happens once I get going. Any ideas?

Thanks all!

Ken

Old 08-31-2005, 11:54 PM
Default RE: High pitched noise

I can't call it, but definitely sounds like a problem I'd want the dealer to look at. You still under warranty?

Old 09-01-2005, 12:04 AM

Welcome to the forum even if you don't have a Monte....

The high pitched noise sounds like the PCV valve o-ring. There is a TSB out on it but I can't for the life of me find it.

The other issue sounds like a faulty relay TCC issue. I would not worry about the high pitched noise too much if you can live with it but I would have the TCC thing looked at. I take it your still under warranty??

Try this site for more specific Impala info...

http://www.impalahq.com/

Old 09-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Thanks guys!

Yes, the car is still under warranty. Only has about 7,000 miles on it.

I can live with the "whistle". It's just once I hear something unusual, I sometimes obsess over it. I swear...... I drive my mechanic nuts sometimes with my 85 SS. Anyway, after some replies on another site, the "whistle" may actually be normal. There was something about the intake design and a change between the Series II and Series III 3800's. Anyway, WHEN it makes the noise, it happens just before a shift. Not sure what RPM's, but I'm going to be watching for it......

Then again, it could be that PCV o-ring.

I want to get that possibly faulty relay TCC issue checked. It's very inconsistent though. Never does it when I think it will. Then out of the blue it does it and I won't see it for a while again. In any event, it's only when first starting out. Never in stop and go traffic.

Thanks again!

Ken