Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

HELP: Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Maybe back pressure from the clogged cat caused a portion of the manifold to head gasket to blow? Use a piece of hose and listen around the manifold and see if you can pinpoint where the ticking sound is coming from.
thats what i was thinking too, its just hard to reach my hand down there and feel for a leak, and it gets hot really quick! what kind of hose would i use, just a small rubber hose?

Originally Posted by DRuben
Might be the flange on the beginning of the DP, I got my dp installed at a shop and they never got it to seal correctly and I have a small amount of air coming through. Pop the hood and put your hand over the flange and pull the throttle on the throttle body and feel for air... A good indication of an exhaust leak is the smell in the engine bay
nope not the flange, that was the first thing i checked

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Well it wouldn't be an exhaust leak - they hiss, not tick. Check around your intake for anything - if it was lifter tick like on the 31 and 3400s it would be doing it when cold and not under load, then stop once it warms up, so I wouldn't think it would be your lifters.
ok thats good to hear thats its not my lifters if it were my lifters wouldn't i also feel tapping with my hand over the valve cover?

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I just had a thought. You can hear it on the back of the engine. Check your spark plugs! Engine cold, just take your hand and see if any wiggle. My 3100 had a plug that kept coming loose (eventually the threads stripped, I think this was due to the first time I changed plugs, previous owner had one over torqued in there). Each time it came loose, I heard a weird ticking noise (oddly, never had a performance problem, engine still ran tip-top). Usually I could see the plug wire move frantically when I'd rev the engine which is what led me to the loose plug (on a 3800, that may not happen so much).
I eventually had to use a Sav-a-Thread heli-coil kit and did it all with the head on the block.
Other thing to look for would be anything that is loose back there or disconnected.
im going to have to check that out, thanks jason

Originally Posted by DRuben
My exhaust leak certainly sounds like a ticking sound. Cant really hear it unless im next to someone or in an enclosed area. You know that clapping sound open manifolds make, an exhaust leak will be almost the same but escaping through the leaking area.
im going to get a vid in a few minutes

Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM

My exhaust leak definitely ticks, real annoying.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
My exhaust leak definitely ticks, real annoying.
Really really annoying lol i dont like my monte right now

Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

If you find the leak make sure you use a lot of high temp rtv if possible! I used soo much on headers and cat back but there's no leaks so I can say it works

After having a leak where my headers bolt up to my cat back it had a sound like a tick more so than a hiss. But I put a gasket in there and a bunch of rtv and it's now sealed and the tick is gone

Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have faith this issue will be found. I'm hoping it turns out to be something super simple (that the worst part is finding it).

Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Mine was leaking at EGR tube ..

Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
If you find the leak make sure you use a lot of high temp rtv if possible! I used soo much on headers and cat back but there's no leaks so I can say it works

After having a leak where my headers bolt up to my cat back it had a sound like a tick more so than a hiss. But I put a gasket in there and a bunch of rtv and it's now sealed and the tick is gone
oh i will after i find it lol

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I have faith this issue will be found. I'm hoping it turns out to be something super simple (that the worst part is finding it).
I know me too i cant seem to get a good vid for you guys, now i have to wait a few hours so it can cool down before i go sticking my hand back there

Originally Posted by zjerry
Mine was leaking at EGR tube ..
was it making the ticking noise Jerry?

Old 07-08-2012, 12:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

My buddies truck had a weird tick and it was the belt tensioner. It sounded just like a lifter and he only found it because he took it to a mechanic that had seen it before.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
thats what i was thinking too, its just hard to reach my hand down there and feel for a leak, and it gets hot really quick! what kind of hose would i use, just a small rubber hose?
If you have any laying around heater hose works well, but even a piece of 3/8" fuel line or an old garden hose will do the trick.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by lougreen03
My buddies truck had a weird tick and it was the belt tensioner. It sounded just like a lifter and he only found it because he took it to a mechanic that had seen it before.
Mine is coming from the rear manifold area

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If you have any laying around heater hose works well, but even a piece of 3/8" fuel line or an old garden hose will do the trick.
i tried everything and i cant find any leaks i gave up on it for now, the car drives just fine and i dont have time to take it apart lol
really wish i coud get rid of it, i was thinking of going with an Acura for my next car

Quick Reply: HELP: Ticking Noise