Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

HELP: Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
Mine is coming from the rear manifold area

i tried everything and i cant find any leaks i gave up on it for now, the car drives just fine and i dont have time to take it apart lol
really wish i coud get rid of it, i was thinking of going with an Acura for my next car
We all have our downfall moments with our Montes at some point but just remember the lessons learned and good times it has gave you. I had my mind set on selling my Monte until I thought about how much I learned from it, to this day my mom always tells me "one day your car wont work because your always taking it apart" lol. Its a part of your life Frank, dont just give up on it!

*Award winning actor*
-D. Ruben

Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DRuben
We all have our downfall moments with our Montes at some point but just remember the lessons learned and good times it has gave you. I had my mind set on selling my Monte until I thought about how much I learned from it, to this day my mom always tells me "one day your car wont work because your always taking it apart" lol. Its a part of your life Frank, dont just give up on it!

*Award winning actor*
-D. Ruben
Lol thanks man, I just gave up on it for now since I don't have time to mess with it or take anything apart. I need it everyday for work lol but I will find the ticking one day haha

Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Lol thanks man, I just gave up on it for now since I don't have time to mess with it or take anything apart. I need it everyday for work lol but I will find the ticking one day haha
I guess that will be the day that I change my coolant elbows also...... One day..........:p

Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

So i finally got a small clip of the ticking, it can actually be heard on cold start and i think it's getting louder and louder by the days probably is a lifter tick but how would i get that fixed?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Anyone? I'm Really getting tired of this monte lol

Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM

Anyone? I'm Really getting tired of this monte lol
Doesnt sound like an exhaust leak... I wish I can help dude :l

Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's difficult to tell listening to a video online, but that sounds like a rod bearing to me. A lifter has a lighter, more metallic sound with a faster tempo. That sounds more like a hard, heavy knock with a slower tempo. A quick way to narrow down where it originates is whether the sound is more pronouced under the hood or under the vehicle. Lifter noise will be louder listening to the engine from above, and quieter listening under the vehicle. A rod bearing will be louder under the vehicle compared to listening from above. You can use a piece of hose to listen while running it across the top of the valve covers and the sides/bottom of the oil pan to verify the origin of the noise.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:50 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by DRuben
Doesnt sound like an exhaust leak... I wish I can help dude :l
Yea it sounds like an internal problem, I'm wanting to change all my upper gaskets and valve cover gaskets just to see if I find anything. Probably change out the lifters too but Idk how lol :p
Really wish I could get rid of this car already I wanna get into an Acura TL this time though, not sure sure about montes anymore

Something about this just looks so sexy

From this

To this lol

Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
It's difficult to tell listening to a video online, but that sounds like a rod bearing to me. A lifter has a lighter, more metallic sound with a faster tempo. That sounds more like a hard, heavy knock with a slower tempo. A quick way to narrow down where it originates is whether the sound is more pronouced under the hood or under the vehicle. Lifter noise will be louder listening to the engine from above, and quieter listening under the vehicle. A rod bearing will be louder under the vehicle compared to listening from above. You can use a piece of hose to listen while running it across the top of the valve covers and the sides/bottom of the oil pan to verify the origin of the noise.
Well it does sound like its coming from rear manifold area, that's about all I can say while cruising it doesn't make any ticking just when reaching the 2k rpm area
If its a rod bearing I'd rather just get another used motor and sell this monte

Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

After its warmed up it idles great and runs great too, but that ticking is flippin annoying and embarrassing

Quick Reply: HELP: Ticking Noise