Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Help!!! Fuel Gauge does NOT work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Default Help!!! Fuel Gauge does NOT work.

Well here is the situation...
I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS which has a typical fuel gauge on the gauge cluster as well a the computer center in the ceiling that tells you Direction, temperature, Average miles, miles left before empty, average speed.... Well about 6 months ago the fuel gauge began acting up, going from full to half to empty, then pointing straight down (didnt know that was possible) then go back to full, and so on. Everytime I would start the car, it would turn a little bit and just keep turning in circles everytime I start the car. Eventually it just stopped working all in all. The part that has me is that the computer still works, like it still tells me I have so many miles left and when I fill up the tank, it will reset to 370 miles, the LOW FUEL light still comes on when I have 50 miles remaining. My question is, has anyone experienced this??? Is it the sending unit or the gauge itself, or just a ground issue with the gauge. I have been told multiple things. I just dont see how it could be the sending unit if the LOW FUEL light still comes on, uness there are two separate sending units in the tank. What do you guys/girls think??? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sean

Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 AM

Hi Sean, Sorry to read about your problem.

GM has had some issues with the fuel sending units in the fuel tank doing exactly what yours is doing and the cause is due to sulpher build up. Many Chevy Monte Carlo and some of those drivers experienced the identical problem. There is an additive called TECHRON you can get at Pep Boys or AUtozone or Walmnart usually best price. Add the proper amount of Techron to your fuel tank and run a few bottles through it and see if it helps. The Techron is said to remove the sulpher build up.
The Techron never hurts and sometimes it saves lots of money compared to the alternative of dropping the fuel tank and cleaning the fuel sending unit.

Check back on your thread ? 2 C what other member's post/suggest.Good Luck from `Space

Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the reply space. I didnt try techron, I dont believe, but I did try two other additives because that was actually my first hunch as to what the problem was. So now Im off to bigger problems and in search of opinions before I pull the fuel pump and sending unit. Remember: My computer unit on the ceiling still reads the fuel though, the gauge does not...

Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Question about your fuel guage

So the fuel guage reader is electronic?

In my 97 monte carlo Z34 and my fathers 94 Chevy Cheyenne truck, we had to rip out the actual fuel tank and replace the fuel reader sensor module since after so many miles, they.. i dunno, rot, deteriorate, stop working..whatever.
We took the fuel tank off and seperated the fuel lines. then took the actual fuel pump motor thing out of it and then replaced the little sensor unit. The part was roughly 50 dollars and it bends (floats) according to the height of the amount of fuel in your tank.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with yours...? I could be wrong but I've experienced work with them. You will definitely have to get underneath your car for that one.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Thanks. It actually ended up being the motor in the gauge cluster, so thats my next step is to replace that sucker.