Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Helllppp!!! Tranny advice..!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Helllppp!!! Tranny advice..!

Ok, so 2 issues here:
1. My tranny takes more than a second to make a 1-2 shift. But 2-3 and so on works great...! Fluid and beautiful and pink, with no signs of shavings, bubbles, and is normal level? Does anyone know how to give me good news without giving me the horrible "Rebuild" word? Lol. Because this is my 2nd tranny this year...! -___-.

2. On my first tranny, ONLY the differential broke. Which caused me to guy the transmission that I'm talking about above... . With that being said, would I be able to save that one without a rebuild? Would draining the tranny and torque converter and replacing with new fluid work? Or would that be too risky? I just figured it would be worth a shot since this tranny shifted FLAWLESSLY. MUCH better than the tranny above... Please give advice to a broke college student trying to save as much money as possible...!!!!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like the 1-2 shift solenoid is sticking/failing. It requires dropping the cradle or pulling the engine & tranny.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Sounds like the 1-2 shift solenoid is sticking/failing. It requires dropping the cradle or pulling the engine & tranny.
Oh no.... I reallllly don't want to take it to a shop. And me being a student and all, I don't have the time to read up on a do-it-yourself. How much would a good shop charge for this? I assume it would be on the level of a rebuild, since they have to drop the cradle. I know the part is cheap though. Do you have an opinion on the other Transmission that I was talking about in the post?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 PM
15 Year Member

The only thing that failed on the other transmission was the differential?

If so, remove the one that's bad, get an HD differential from an L67 and swap them out. You may need to get a halfshaft from an HD tranny too.

As long as the diff didn't tear up the transmission, you should be able to swap them and be good to go. Either way, you're going to have to drop the cradle or pull the engine, so labor would be about the same IMO.

Regardless, keep both the transmissions. One needs solenoids and one needs a differential.

Last edited by nitehawkjcb; 10-07-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member

The only thing that failed on the other transmission was the differential?

If so, remove the one that's bad, get an HD differential from an L67 and swap them out. You may need to get a halfshaft from an HD tranny too.

As long as the diff didn't tear up the transmission, you should be able to swap them and be good to go. Either way, you're going to have to drop the cradle or pull the engine, so labor would be about the same IMO.

Regardless, keep both the transmissions. One needs solenoids and one needs a differential.
Ok, that's better news...! After we dropped my last Tranny with the broken diff, we checked the fluid, and there was a FEW tiny metal flakes. And when we dropped the pan, there was little to none. With the fluid still pink and pretty. Well, glad I got 2 transmissions that aren't completely destroyed...!!! I guess I can play with both of them on my winter break...!!! . Thanks for your help my good sir.!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM
15 Year Member

Any time, glad I could help.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member

Any time, glad I could help.
Just to be a little more clear about the Broken Diff. Tranny....
I was driving, when the tranny just refused to go into any gear.... Like it didn't want to catch on. Before that, it used to be a whining sound coming from it. Like a Pig's squeal. Then, when I pulled the Diff, it was chewed up. So I figured that's what it was. Mech. Told me that it was more than likely the diff too. He told me that I needed a whooole rebuild... I wish I would have just trusted my gut. I ended up spending another 1000 on a different tranny, when I could have just got a new diff. and put new fluid in there. Oh well...