Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Has anyone done a tiptronic conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 AM
Default Has anyone done a tiptronic conversion

just a thought, in my plan to create the greatest 6th gen monte carlo know to man an idea popped into my head, how expensive would a tiptronic or paddle shift trans conversion from an automatic be, has anyone ever done one on an MC, and how awesome would that be, lol

Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since the GXP Does it from the factory, I would think there's a way to get it done.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Not worth it IMO. I've got a GXP with the paddles, and it was cool for a couple days- the car holds all the gears so it doesn't auto shift for you (unless you forget to downshift at the minimum speeds or you try and floor it in 4th at 20mph). IIRC the 04+ GTP Comp G's had it too- so its definitely doable in these cars.

I just think for how much I use it, I definitely wouldn't spend all that time and work to add it. For drag racing, its just as easy to let the car shift itself (its not as intuitive as a manual because you have the delay of the electronics and the delay of the actual fluid engaging the next gear)- and for auto cross or something, you can just leave a regular auto in 2nd.

I will admit the first couple weeks, I drove a lot with them, but its like half the extra work of a manual with none of the extra fun.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 PM

i've driven the first issue gxp with the paddles and from what i remember it was an automatic until u shifted the console into M or something, i dunno maybe it was those chryslers that had the movement to the right on the console shifter but i do remember inspecting an 08 or 09 malibu with paddle shifters, i was shocked, but it had all the same sometimey, i'm an automatic but u can shift me if u want to, type of feel to it, and i don't know why i asked about price cause it really doesn't matter to me, i plan to have my MC until i can't afford it and considering it's paid for, it's not goin anywhere, my goal though is to make it as show/daily driver, so like i said eventually money will be spent, just not right now since i got laid off a year ago already

Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 PM

i've driven the first issue gxp with the paddles and from what i remember it was an automatic until u shifted the console into M or something, i dunno maybe it was those chryslers that had the movement to the right on the console shifter but i do remember inspecting an 08 or 09 malibu with paddle shifters, i was shocked, but it had all the same sometimey, i'm an automatic but u can shift me if u want to, type of feel to it
Yeah, with the GXP, you put the shifter in M and just use the paddles.