Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Has anyone done anything to the 3.9 exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Default Has anyone done anything to the 3.9 exhaust?

I am dying to give my 06 3.9 some more rumble, but I have searched here and can't find any posts of anyone having done anything to this engine's exhaust. Of course, I don't want to be the guinea pig either lol! Has anyone done anything?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Default RE: Has anyone done anything to the 3.9 exhaust?

ORIGINAL: shmedley

I am dying to give my 06 3.9 some more rumble, but I have searched here and can't find any posts of anyone having done anything to this engine's exhaust. Of course, I don't want to be the guinea pig either lol! Has anyone done anything?
Hi Tom, No...I've been waiting to : ) I was hoping that you would : )
Magnaflow has a system now, but it's around $900 : (
I have been waiting to find one with Flowmasters on a 3.9, but have not
found anybody that has done it. I can't afford to experiment with
different mufflers and then not like the tone : (
Below is a link to a member that has vid's on the sounds of his
3.9 systems...It sounds awesome : )
I think YOU SHOULD live dangerously & do some mod's 2 your exhaust system : ) Oh, & then post cost & sounds clips : )
[:-]Click link below& check out U-Tube : )

Old 06-16-2007, 11:30 AM

Aren't the flowmaster 40 series usually a pretty safe bet? From what I can tell, I could get a pair of these for around 150 bucks? Are they a universal fitting type thing, or do they have to be made for a specific vehicle? And does anyone know a ballpark figure of what it would cost to have them welded on? Sorry for all the questions, but I am obviously new to this stuff...If the cost wasn't too bad I would be willing to go ahead and do it. I would be like a pioneer...

Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 AM

I had the same questions when I bought my car, which is why I did the sound clips- I wanted to hear what the car sounded like with the stock mufflers. In my opinion, the stock mufflers sound better than any aftermarket mufflers I've heard yet. A guy around here has a 3.8 with Flowmasters- it's louder than stock, but doesn't have a "quality" sound to it. Also, note that the Impala with the 3.9 is rated 7 hp less than the Monte- I believe the only difference is the mufflers, since the Impala is quieter. This makes me think that there's little, or nothing, to be gained by changing the exhaust- certainly not enough to warrant$800-$900! My only change was to add tips, since GM apparently felt cut off raw pipes was good enough.This is the first car I've owned that I'm keeping the stock exhaust on! A note about Flowmaster 40 series: I replaced the Gibson muffler on my Ram with a 40 series Flowmaster- performance noticeably decreased, and I lost about 1 mpg! According to 2 independant researches I've read, ( done by college engineering classes) both Hooker Aero Chamber and DynaMax super turbos out flowed Flowmasters by a considerabl margine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1804/D0712AD4FFBF4354A8B603764429A725.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-17-2007, 06:18 AM

[align=center]Hey `Tom,[/align][align=center]Thanks for your post & information, and again thanks[/align][align=center]for your vid's....I love the drive by one : )[/align][align=center]The Beach Gang give's it two thumbs up : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Oh, I love the tips you put on your LT3[/align][align=center]What kind are they ? Where did you get them ?[/align][align=center]Are they expensive ?They really look good onyour LT3.[/align][align=center]I agree, GM cuts cost by not having tips on the exhaust : ([/align][align=center]Tom have you had any problems[/align][align=center]with your Monte LT3 ? How's the MPG ?[/align][align=center]Did you ever take it 2 the track ? If so, Report please : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Thanks for your Posts....Wish U a ``Happy,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 06-17-2007, 07:05 AM

Thanks! My favorite is "the launch"-I've watched it a couple dozen times with the volume cranked up- drives my wife nuts! I must have rather tolerant neighbors, as I've done about a dozen of those videos with no complaints.
The tips were off of my Ram, I kept them when I replace the exhaust to sell it. They came from Gibson, and I think they run about $60 a pair. They're 2.5" in/3.5" out angle cut, about 10" long. Since the inlet was too big to fit the stock pipe, I made adapters that also allowed me to reposition the tips to line up better with the cutouts in the fascia.Since they were angled, I had to rotate them slightly from vertical to look right, since the rear fascia has a curve to it. I'm happy with the way they look, but they could be a bit more centered- at least now they match side-for-side! The stock outlets were way low and off center-it looked very haphazard. Picture below shows the difference pretty well.
As for problems- the usual GM rattles in the dash and drivers door in cold weather, and I had the accellerator pedal assembly replaced- it was causing a code for the trac-control, and causing the engine to run at reduced power. Also had a recall to replace a power steering hose. I'm really disappointed with the lack of quality in this car- I normally drive Dodges, but like the looks of the Monte, and thought it would be a fun change from driving trucks. My last 8 vehicles were Dodges (5 new trucks, and 3 used cars ) and there were 0 problems total with them! Then they have a good mid level engine option, the 3.9, and drop it after 1 year! Which brings us to your last question:
I have tested it with a G-Timer. I did 5 runs on a cold morning, when the road still had a bit of dew on it, and with 35 psi in the tires. Even with trac-control on, I couldn't get a good launch- best 60 foot time was 2.63 seconds. None the less, it averaged a respectable 15.3 @92 mph. I figure if it could hook up off the line, it should easily get into the upper 14's. I'm sure the fact that I weigh 270 doesn't help, either! I should have my 100 pound daughter drive it! I'll probobly try again in the next few weeks with better conditions, lower tire pressure and the modified airbox.

TG

[IMG]local://upfiles/1804/57CC7AF9954F47B0964246FB0DDA5105.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-17-2007, 07:20 AM

[align=center]Hey Tom, thanks for your reply & information on the tips. I think[/align][align=center]they look great & add a custom touch to the rear of the LT3.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Look forward to your future post & vid's.[/align][align=center]Oh, my g/f thinks that I was going nuts when I keep playing your launch &[/align][align=center]drive by vid's : ) LOL[/align][align=center]I think the LT3 will run in the mid 14's & 0 to 60 in the mid 6's @ low 90's MPH [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Thanks again for your post & infor on your awesome Hot Rod LT3.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/8505C5D1695E4A148426E06BC15B4B94.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-17-2007, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I'll hold off on doing anything....for now. The stock exhaust does sound nice when I first start the car, but after it has run for a minute or so, the nice sound seems to dissapear. Oh well, still love the car... although I have to agree with TG about the quality, seems a little chintzy in certain areas.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Here's a clip from a guy with 40 series flowmasters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS8Ud...ted&search=

TG

Old 06-17-2007, 10:13 AM

hey guys i had put flowmasters on my 06 -3.9 and i love the sound, its not like a lil rice burner, i sounds real good! best thing i have ever done to it

Quick Reply: Has anyone done anything to the 3.9 exhaust?