Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Gas Cap with Lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Default Gas Cap with Lock

I have a3400 and I recently bought a locking gas cap from AutoZone. The check engine light came on. I put the original cap back on and the light went off. Does anyone have a locking Gas Cap on their Monte that doesn't make the checkengine light come onand if so what brand is it and where did you get it? Do they even make ones that don't spin freely after you lock it. I think that is why the light kept coming on.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Default RE: Gas Cap with Lock

[align=center][:-]Click on below link for infor.[:-][/align][align=center]http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chevrolet...gine-light.htm[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Below are the part #'s I found for Monte Carlo Gas Caps[:-][/align][align=center]
1997-2005
Monte Carlo
All
V6
All
Gas
All
MGC-834
MGC-804

1975-1996
Monte Carlo
All
All
All
Gas
All
MGC-819
MGC-900
[/align][align=center][:-]Click below for source [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.cgenterprises.com/fuelcaps/k3500.htm[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Check Engine Light warning - Gas Cap on a Toyota : ([/align][hr]

I had my check engine light come on yesterday. Took it to the dealer today and they said it was caused by the locking gas cap I put on. They said that if the cap is not tight or if you overfill the gas tank, the check engine light will come on. Apparently, the aftermarket locking gas caps do not provide an adequate seal and will cause the check engine light to come on which the dealer's service dept. may have to reset. They told me to put the original Toyota gas cap back on and drive 3 cycles of 4 miles to see if it will reset the light by itself. Toyota does not make genuine Toyota locking caps but their parts dept. sells the "Stant" brand locking gas caps which I was using. According to them, this is a known problem. Anyone else had this problem?
[/align][/align]

Old 07-28-2007, 11:50 AM

[align=center]Gas cap

[/align][align=center]As car parts go, the gas cap keeps a pretty low profile. In the old days, it was possible to drive away from a gas station without it, necessitating a trip to the auto parts store or junkyard for a replacement, but automakers started tethering them to the necks of their fuel tanks, so even that rare cause for concern faded away. It's hard to think of a simpler, more reliable functional component of an automobile. [/align][align=center]Of course it wouldn't be Real Life without complications.[/align][align=center]New Cars[/align][align=center]In modern cars, the gas cap is part of the emissions control system. Its function in that regard is to prevent raw gasolinefumes from escaping into the atmosphere. It's a worthy task, because not only are the fumes toxic in themselves, they contribute to the formation of ground-level ozone, which is a significant health hazard in most urban areas. Jurisdictions that require emissions testing generally include a gas cap pressure test as part of the regimen. If your car fails the test, you may be able to buy a new gas cap and go on about your way, but some places will just fail the vehicle and force you to be retested later, at full price. This could cost 30-40 bucks or more in many areas.[/align][align=center]The automakers have become aware of this issue, and many new cars have sensors that measure the pressure-holding integrity of the fuel tank. A bad gas cap can now cause your check engine light to come on. Those cars will record the event in their on-board computer systems, and your smiling contemporary service agent will not have to waste time trying to troubleshoot the problem.[/align][align=center]Old Cars [/align][align=center]Before we started worrying about all this "environment" stuff, fuel tank design was much more straightforward. As the level of gas in the tank drops, you have to admit air to take its place, so gas caps were vented - that is, they had holes in them. Fat old DeSoto and Studebaker mechanics like to amaze one another with stories of plugged gas cap vents that created enough negative pressure in the tank to starve the fuel system and cause cars to stall out.* What an [URL=http://everythin

Old 07-29-2007, 07:08 AM

Damn, I was kinda wanting to buy one of those, but seeing as how it will trigger the code, maybe I'll hold off

Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 AM

[align=center][/color]I know that it's sad that we have to put locks on everything.[/size][/align][align=center]My Grandfather says: "Locks are only made to keep Honest people Honest" [/align][align=center]But, we have to protect our Gas (GOLD)[/size][/align][align=center]I know that the newer year cars are moredifficult to siphon fuel : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

Product will be made for your 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Click here to change vehicle[/align][align=center]Selections Available

Item#
DescriptionPriceQty1319
Regular Locking Gas Cap
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - V-6 3.5 L Engine$19.95

Regular Locking Gas Cap
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - V-6 3.9 L Engin

$19.95

[align=center]Regular Locking Gas Cap
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - V-8 5.3 L Engine

Source below Check out their site[/align]$19.95[/align][align=center][color=#0000ff][size=5][:-]Click below[/align][align=center][size=3]http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=4741&addcar=1[/align]