Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Fuel issues

Old 10-25-2014, 07:21 PM
1 Year Member
Exclamation Fuel issues

Ok so I need some input and ideas guys. So in my 1986 Monte Carlo SS I installed an engine from a 1990 Suburban. Basically i rebuilt it 350 with new guts and new cam kit and all. Well upon installing the engine I realized I have overlooked something. THIS ENGINE WAS NOT MEANT FOR A MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP. So I said no problem, I went and bought an aftermarket universal fuel pump to mount on the frame. Well I couldn't find anywhere that satisfied me as far as a mounting point so then I realized that in 1987 they put 4.3 FUEL INJECTED engines in the Monte's. So I ordered a fuel pump assembly from RockAuto. Its a Spectra unit part number is SP172A1H in case it helps. So I bought it and after rebuilding my factory Quadrajet I also bought a fuel pressure regulator from Spectra as I was told to keep fuel pressure to a Quadrajet at 5.5 PSI. So I got the car to fire up after i primed the fuel bowl and got the pump which mounts in the tank like the factory unit and uses the factory fuel lines minus the return. Now that I have hopefully give you enough info on my setup here is my issue, The car fired up a few times with no issue, however im having trouble keeping the fuel bowl full on the carb. My question is do I even need the regulator or is it too restrictive. The fuel pump is a factory tank mount setup and is wired to a fused ignition on hot only. It seems as though 5.5 isn't enough to keep the carb from emptying the fuel bowl and im constantly having to refill it and start the engine again. Advice in anyway will be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm curious...
If you set it up like the factory.... Why did you by pass the return line?
also why did you hook the fuel pump directly to a hot (Instead of the factory power wire) ... Is it on all the time? or does it shut off with the key?

When you rebuilt the carb... did you also change the filter at the fuel inlet of the Carb? Have you checked/changed the inline fuel filter from the tank to the motor? Maybe its clogged also? Thus low/no fuel pressure.

I'm sure other members will chime in with more/other ideas/fixes...

Keep us posted on your progress/fixes...

Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
I'm curious...
If you set it up like the factory.... Why did you by pass the return line?
also why did you hook the fuel pump directly to a hot (Instead of the factory power wire) ... Is it on all the time? or does it shut off with the key?

When you rebuilt the carb... did you also change the filter at the fuel inlet of the Carb? Have you checked/changed the inline fuel filter from the tank to the motor? Maybe its clogged also? Thus low/no fuel pressure.

I'm sure other members will chime in with more/other ideas/fixes...

Keep us posted on your progress/fixes...

The return was bypassed with previous engine with no issues however previous engine ran a mechanical fuel pump where as this one is not. The Fuel pump was hooked to a hot with the ignition on because the car never came fuel injected as its a factory carb and mechanical fuel pump car. When carb was rebuilt it got everything new including new filter at the carb inlet. To my knowledge and research the carb cars only had the fuel filter at the carb. The new fuel pump assembly did come with everything new such as pump, strainer, wiring and all. Gonna mess with some other ideas today and see what happens.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:33 AM
1 Year Member

Also yes it does shut off with the key, only runs when the key is switched to the on/engine running position.