Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

electrical short out

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Default electrical short out

Hey
I have an 01 Pace Car and its been acting up and i took it in and got ripped off as usual and its still doing the same thing so im turning to you for help. When I turn the key to the on position my gauge needles bounce around, my lights flicker, and there is clicking noises coming from my fuse boxes on both sides. sometimes when i try to start it, none of my gauges will turn on and not a thing happens when i turn it over, like a dead battery, but my battery is brand new, and the connection is good. i took it in and they said the starter was shorting it out, they replaced it, but its still doing it. the other day i drove home from work with my volts reading 8 and the fuse boxes were clicking like crazy and every light on my dash went on, including: check engine, battery, security, service trac, abs, and my airbag light. when this happens ive been disconecting the power from the battery and reconecting it, sometimes that works. ive hooked up to the computer and it blew no codes so i am completely los at this point. my abs and service trac lights have been on for about a year now. the only thing ive come up with is maybe the relays have gone bad, because some of them are hot? if you have any suggestions at all i would really appreciate all your help.

thanks, kevin.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 PM

I'm having the exact problems all of a sudden. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like it could be the Body Control Module. Although I have no hands on experience with the unit. I have seen other post here with similar issues.
In both your cases I would recommend finding a shop, or go to your Local GM Dealer and have them read it with a Tech II scanner. Other scanner only read from the PCM. The Tech II will read Every Module in the car. BCM, ABS, BRAKES, Transmission can only be read by a TECH II scanner.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Update:

I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and when I re-connected it, everything worked again. I was able to drive the car 50km home with no problem. Checked it again this morning and everything still works.

Thanks for the info on the TechII scanner. I will try and get it scanned.