Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

A/C Problems, perhaps stemming from an electrical short

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Default A/C Problems, perhaps stemming from an electrical short

Ok, I figure I'll give you all the info I have on this to make sure It's as helpful as possible, please forgive if there is information you do not need.

Ok I bought a '95 LS several weeks ago from a friend of my brother, it had been sitting in his driveway for months. The AC wasn't cooling all that well so he went to get it evacuated and recharged. It went out a few days later and that is when he discovered there was a leak directly over the compressor which shot it. So he installed a new compressor and fixed the leak and I went and got it evacuated and recharged. I took it on the road right after because I was going home. It was cranking out freezing air and then on I-10 it just stopped and was just venting warm air. So I had it looked at by a friend of the family and he said it was a blown fuse and that if it blows again it is an electrical short. So i drove back to college a few days ago and it's working great and then again it just shut off and started venting off the engine(this was on I-10 again). So i proceed to look through the fuses, I wasn't sure which one was for the AC but i looked at all the ones I thought might be for the AC and they all looked intact, I took a quick glance at the other fuses and they looked alright as well. So I'm not sure if he was talking about the fuses in the fuse box or what. I read in the manual I have, it says something about fusable links or something, so I'm not sure what he actually replaced.

Any suggestions on how to get my AC working again and what I need to do, I have a friend who does all his own car work so he could probably help me out. So it would be much appreciated if anyone could guide me in the right direction. And if you need any more info let me know. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Default RE: A/C Problems, perhaps stemming from an electrical short

ORIGINAL: hatecc

there was a leak directly over the compressor which shot it.

then again it just shut off and started venting off the engine
Not sure exactly what you mean by these statements, but what I got is that the compressor vented the refrigerant. I'm not familiar with that particular compressor, but some compressors have high pressure relief valves on them. If the pressure of the refrigerant becomes too high, the valve will open and release the refrigerant to prevent a line from blowing. If that is what happened, you need to figure out why the pressure got too high. A good place to start is to check to make sure your cooling fan is working and that airflow through the condenser is not blocked.

Also, what fuse was blown? If it was the cooling fan fuse, then you may have found part of your problem. The other part is to find the short.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:24 AM

I am not really good at A/C stuff, but if I were you I would steer clear of I-10 if I were you....

Old 08-20-2006, 02:44 AM

well from what i gather compressor was pooched and now is fixed and charge is good so we will just look at this as a wiring problem

now i do not have a diagram for this car or anything so i am just going from experiance with heavy trucks witch is the same!

on the system you have a basic wiring the switch sends power to a relay (witch has its own power for the ac) the relay sends power to a low presure switch the works like a loop (if not enough 134a it will not let power go any farther)then on to a high pressure switch (jut the opposit but also work the engine cooling fan)from there it heads to your compressur .
That is a basic rundown of the a/c wiring
If i where you i would look at all the fuse panels sounds like you have a bad fuse but you have a nother problem some place where your power wire is grounding out from time to time
you can replace it with a breaker type fuse that will rest itself after it blows but that will not fix the real problem of the wire that is blowing it

Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM

Well, if it were a blown fuse, the system wouldnt have turned back on. I also am confused about what accually happened here, maybe try re-explaining.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 PM

I was assuming they replaced the fuse, since he said they told him "if it blows again it is an electrical short".

But some clarification would be good.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: InTheIROC

I was assuming they replaced the fuse, since he said they told him "if it blows again it is an electrical short".

But some clarification would be good.
Yes they replaced the fuse.

I found out the bad fuse, it's in one of the boxes in the engine compartment, the one on the left side, and it's the one in the middle row, middle fuse it is 15w. (I'm fairly certain that is the right fuse, but I will go try to look at it later to make sure) It actually had a 20w in it for some reason which i replaced with a 15w. The AC works great now, but I have only been driving it around the city, so I'm sure it would probably cut out during a long drive.

How can i find out which wire(s) are the problem?

Oh and sorry about the really late reply, I had moved and then school started so I've been really busy and forgot to check.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:51 PM

I don't know which fuse that is since I am back home and my car is in VA, but if it is a 15A circuit and it blew a 20A fuse, you have a short somewhere. Sooner or later, the 15A fuse will blow as well. To find out what is shorting out, you would need a wiring diagram to show what is on that fuse and then go from there.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:30 AM

Hey, I have a similar problem and have not took the time to trace out the problem. I can tell you this, when the A/C is not working I still have an indicator light telling me that the compresser is on. However, if you look under the hood you will see that the compresser is not running. When this happens I also noticed that my engine temp gauge is not working. When the temp gauge starts working again so does the A/C. Anybody seen this before? I would love to have a schematic of the electrical system so that I could trace this out. I guess I am going to have to break down and order one from Helms.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:18 PM

Could be a temp sensor problem.......

Have you pulled any codes from the system yet?

Quick Reply: A/C Problems, perhaps stemming from an electrical short