Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Electric turbo idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Default Electric turbo idea

Ok everyone...

FIRST OFF THIS ISNT A PLACE FOR HOT HEADS TO POST ABOUT HOW THEY THINK THE IDEA IS STUPID!!!

I know there has been a ton of debate about the topic and thats fine but I want feed back no bashing please....

people in the past have discussed wheather they thought an electric blower setup would create any kind of gains in hp or torque...

I have seen dyno runs with added power VIA leafblower so i know it can happen but im curious what it would take to make a product that is worth the hassell...

Now im sure we all have seen the Electric supercharger or turbo charger ripp offs on ebay... and thats not what i want...

The consenses seems to be that for this to be a worth while idea we need a motor that doesn draw too much power, Makes a ton of speed and finally doesnt way anything...

Some people have modified bilge pumps from boats into a "IN-LINE" type of turbo....

My idea is similar however i think it would be best to use a electric motor from a hobby car...

These motors way ounces and make a ton of power for what little they draw...

For those not framiliar these tiny electric motors are rated by a rating called "TURNS"

So it wouldnt be odd if you saw a motor classified as a 27 turn brushless motor....

Now i havent looked into what kind of prop you would need to withstand the power but...does anyone think this would create enough power to show noticable gains in Hp or torque???

please let me know....

Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Default RE: Electric turbo idea

not to be a hothead, but its not cost effective. if it worked on a small scale, why wouldnt people do it on a large scale for some serious hp?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 AM

great attitude,

Im open to all ideas i just dont want someone Bashing....

Good point

Old 07-08-2007, 02:57 AM

I have to agree with 2000LS, as it will not be cost effective. And none of us here are "hotheaded" we just hate to see people waste time and money ( not to mention energy ) on a product or "hype" that will not produce a gain in the end. Dan (04 Intimidator) used a link a few days ago in a post about ram air hoods, and this is the same principle. Using forced air to help gain HP. Check out the link:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...AD23CA9564.htm

-Keegan

Old 07-08-2007, 03:50 AM

Would it work? Well yes it would, it would essentialy put boost into an air intake. If done correctly it might be cost effective. A leaf blower might give you 1-2 psi (just a guess) however you would need an impressive power inverter to be able to keep up with it. The added strain on the vehicles electical system might rob some of the added power.

Now what im thinkin is why not an electric air compressor and a tank? We know that your average turbo puts out 1-10psi, so why not rig up a small pancake compressor with 120psi and a regulator set to 5 psi or so? Charge the tank for your run down the strip and then press a button. Instant turbo..

I know its not that simple tho. You would need a blow off valve, some method to prevent it from going back towards the air filter, amonst other things..and it still wouldnt be as on-tap as an turbo or a supercharger, but in theroy wouldn't it work?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 AM

The average turbo puts out 14-21 psi, if not MORE, throughout the entire power band. An M90 GenV with a 2.6 pulley intercooled can put out as much as 16 psi, again, throughout the entire power band. I don't see a 15 gallon tank of standard compressed air helping your engine perform any better. I honestly think that your money would be better spent to upgrade exhaust, do a FIPK from K&N (FIPK alone adds almost 14 horsepower) or just upgrade to an M90 kit.

However, I am a full supporter of trying new things. As almost everything we have today was designed by someone who was told that it "couldn't" be done, or found by accident. So if you do decide to try it, please keep us updated on your results. Good Luck!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:50 AM

Ok. let me cover why most of the past Elec blowers/turbo/sc havent worked:

those ebay ones and even the leaf blower video done on the dyno....
the main problem is CFM. cubic feet per min.... the little blowers and even the leaf blower CAN produce boost at low CFM, but when you get in the upper RPM range they just dont provide the volume of air needed for the engine.

remember the leaf blower in the vid is powered by 120Volts AC! and getting that power from an outlet. so no extra weight in the car and no power draw. it did give a flatter Tq curve and deff increased hp. question is how much power will be lost by the electric draw from it?

SC's are directly connected to the motor and as rpm increase so does boost so you dont get the drop in flow. Turbos are powered by the exhaust so as rpm increase so does the work done on the turbo to keep creating the extra CFM and maintain the boost.

What is needed for an electric blower to work, is really efficent electric motors and compressor housings, a seprate power supply so they dont draw power from the cars elec system (load on alt), and to match the correct CFM for the needs of the motor.

one thing worth a try is getting two of those inline bilge blowers and put them on a Y so it will look like this: engine here ----<=blowers=>---- filter here
still would need seprate power but would be worth trying... those little motors prob arent too expensive i might look into it as a pet proj.... i would also try to boost the effiency of those little blowers by making the tolernces tighter in the housing.... can use epoxi on the inside where the fan blades almost touch and fill it in...the tighter the area the better the effiency.

but again the main prob with using things like fans is they arent completely sealed like a turbo or SC so you cant make any descent positive boost #'s i doubt over 2-3 psi... but if you get one big enough so that it doesnt restrict air flow at high rpm then in theory you wont cause a restriciton in flow and the push of the fan at low rpm might generate the extra CFM to make more power!
----------------
did some more research found this: http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Turbo-...34&sr=1-60

and they were nice enough to supply flow data!
"Open-flow capacity 145 CFM at 13.6 volts; 135 CFM at 12 volts "
if you figure a normal V8 like a 305,302,350 use 650 CFM carbs in their performance apps, you start to get an idea of how many of these you would need to feed an engine at high rpm, and to generate additional boost you need to go well over those CFM #'s my guess is a V6 like ours needs 500 CFM at high rpm, so to generate even a little boost you need four of these!

here is a list of others:
http://www.amazon.com/Det-Mar-3-Tunn...8&sr=1-146
http://www.amazon.com/Det-Mar-4-Tunn...8&sr=1-151
[URL=http://www.amazon.com/Detmar-Sp-Blowers/dp/B0009TQ2WC/ref=sr_1_50/0