Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

electric turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Default electric turbo

saw one of these on my friends dads civic *shutters* I hate those things but anyways its called an electric turbo heres a link . From what I understnad sounds like a decent little upgrade for the price. Think its worth it? Know anything about it?

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...=detail&id=952

Last edited by red03ssmonte; 04-30-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: lol didnt put the link
Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 PM

no complete waste of money...think about it. a small electric fan can cram more air in a cylinder than drivin? its a waste of your money

Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 AM

From what I understnad sounds like a decent little upgrade for the price.
lol, nope... not really

250 cfm 'pressurizing your intake' sounds great until you start to calculate how much air your engine takes. At 6000 rpm a 3800 would use ~401 CFM (assuming a perfectly efficient engine, it would be lower)- so if your engine was using more air than the fan could flow, wouldn't it stand to reason that the fan blades would then become a restriction?

Just for reference, if you look at the Eaton M90 that they use to make 5-8 psi on a 3800, it would flow ~567 cfm (in an ideal situation) at the same 6000 rpm- and look how much horsepower it takes to run them... (I realize the mass of the rotors is high, but you can compare the power drain to a CSC which still takes a big chunk of hp to run).

These little fans are using ~30 watts- which equals ~0.04 horsepower.

There are much better mods to do for $400!

edit- looking more into the site and their garauntee:

The electric supercharger is not just a small fan, in fact the 250CFM of forced air into the engine equals to 1300CFM of fan rotation. E-ram advertises 800CFM, which equals 100-150CFM forced air into the engine
I'm confused how blowing the air from pressure to a vacuum cuts output from the fan by itself.

We guarantee the unit to give you at least 4-5% (8-10HP) increase in horsepower. If the unit will not perform as we guarantee it will (proof must be shown on a dyno) we will take it back used and issue you a complete refund.
Who is really going to spend $100 to dyno test the unit just to get their $400 back (probably minus shipping both ways).

edit 2, I keep finding more good stuff the more I click:

Does the supercharger put a drain on the battery?
No, the supercharger runs on a low current so when it's running the battery is able to compensate for the drain.
lol, what? The battery isn't what is generating more electricity- that's the alternator's use. Of course it is putting more drain on the system- 2.2 amps worth.

Does the supercharger create any restriction on the stock intake?
No, the supercharger has a straight flow design that allows air to pass without restriction when powered off.
I'd like to see some sort of evidence on that. Since its a 4" in/out- I bet a piece of 4" 90* elbow has less restriction that this does- the fan blades still block the path of free flowing air.

How much CFM will the supercharger produce?
The supercharger produces 250 CFM but when combined with a cold air intake it produces about 2 PSI of boost.
Again, wtf? So it moves more air with a CAI than it does by itself out in the open? Also, how in the world do they get 2psi? I'm sure if you put that on an 8 liter viper, it would make less pressure than on a 1.6 liter honda. Since boost is a measure of a specific engine's restriction to airflow input from a charger (ie its inability to process all the air being forced in)- then how could you make such a blanket statement like 2 psi?

Will the supercharger create too much air and cause problems with the intake manifold?
No, the supercharger compensates for that event and slows does to put less stress on the intake manifold.
Less stress on the intake? Seriously? If it can handle 30+ psi from a turbo, I'm sure the little 250 cfm fan won't make too much pressure to blow it apart. What I think they're trying to say is: if you start making any real boost, the fan would probably stall out and air would rush back across it (like with a turbo at full throttle just after you let off the gas w/ no recirc or blowoff valve).

This is classic:

Technical Data - How it works: All stock air intakes are designed to intake a certain amount of air. The intake ratio is usually set at only 10% of its full capacity. In other words your stock air intake is designed to only intake 10% of the air that it could intake. This leaves 90% of the air suspended from entering your engine. The reason you get horsepower increase when you get a short ram or cold air intake is because you are no longer restricting the air to come in. The air is being free flowed by your engine itself. If you measure how much capacity is left over after installing a short ram or cold air intake, you will realize that you have about 60%-70% capacity left of potential air to enter your engine. This is where the Air Intake Blower comes to place. It will be help your engine intake more air resulting in making less pressure on the engine itself, horsepower increase and improving gas mileage.
So your stock intake only takes in 10% of the air available? Where is the other 90% suspended? Wouldn't this mean that you could run open throttle body (ie no filter, no tubing) and achieve 100% airflow then (for gains of 10x the horsepower too)? So an open TB 3800 would make ~2000 crank hp? There is so much more wrong in this paragraph that I can't even comment more- its obvious this person hasn't been through any fluid dynamics or engineering courses.

ECU Air Intake Ratio: Each car has an ECU installed to measure how much air ratio is entered into the engine. To get the best results we recommend purchasing a performance chip for your car before installing the Air Intake Blower. The performance chip will tell the ECU to intake more air then usual, which will result in even greater horsepower increase. When the Air Intake Blower will be working, the amount of air that it will force-in will get the ECU confused as to why so much air is being entered. You don't have to worry about ruining your engine or having the ECU malfunction. The ECU will simply adapt to the effect that there is more air being entered and it will let it through, it will not reject it. It will continue to operate as usual. The factory ECU is designed to work at 10% of its capacity. When the Air Intake Blower will be on, the ECU will consider it to be above normal, as it will be working at 70% of its capacity. This is the reason why you can install the Air Intake Blower without modifying any engine parts in your car. Your car was capable of producing this power from the start. It was just never unleashed.
What is the air ratio measured in? Air taken in / air that your stock airbox left suspended...lol. Tell the ECU to take in more air, how? With the throttle opened a certain % with a specific vac in the manifold and a specific pressure outside- it has no control over how much air comes in. The best part is that your ECU will simply adapt and let the new air in- not rejecting it; like it has a choice, where could it reject the air to? I guess if you had an electrically controlled blowoff valve, it could vent the air out- but that would require actually having some sort of positive pressure in the manifold to start with.

Does this really sound like a reputable place to buy performance parts from??

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-01-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

saw one of these on my friends dads civic *shutters* I hate those things but anyways its called an electric turbo heres a link . From what I understnad sounds like a decent little upgrade for the price. Think its worth it? Know anything about it?
dont do it.
spend the $400 you saved for this and get a downpipe and powerlog. that will open up more power than this thing even "claims" to produce.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:32 AM
Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Old, but funny vid. Not really comparable to this little electric fan- if you look at the electric version of those leaf blowers, a lot of the ones I see are "12 amp".

12 amps x 120 volts = 1440 watts (1.9 horsepower)

compared to this little electric fan:

2.2 amps x 14 volts = 30.8 watts (0.04 horsepower)

so those leaf blowers should be 40 some times more powerful.

Heck, even the gas leaf blowers at sears are under $150- a whole lot cheaper than the electric turbo.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Hahahahaahaha!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 AM

ill be right back...

(leaves to go to sears)

Old 05-02-2009, 05:24 PM

wow chad...u went crazy on that one lol

Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cowboy needs to kick in with the pwned pictures!

Quick Reply: electric turbo