Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Electical (Wiring) Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Electical (Wiring) Question

Hello MCF, I have a question about wiring. As yall may or may not know, I have a High Idle and stalling after warm start problem that is causing me not to continue with my rebuild. After having replaced all my control sensors, plugs, air filter, belt and vacuum hoses, and cleaning my TB. I finally got a check engine light. Codes P0102 and P0120 (MAP and TPS). Since both have been replaced I was thinking I had a bad ECM. But that would give a Code or it would not be able to be reed at all, I Assume.
Today I grabbed hold of the wiring harnes, which is rapped in electrical tape, and wiggled it, then started the car. The check engine light went off and the car ran perfect. I know the ECM harnes had to be rewired due to a left fender (more than) bender. I found that a lot of wires have but connectors just befor they go into the ECM. Since the codes both relate to a poor signal to from the MAP and TPS, I am going to go through the harnes to ensure good connections to both sensors.
I have the 1995 - 2005 Hainse manual for the Lumina, Monte Carlo & Impala with a wiring diagram for the 3800 series II motor. Accordine to the manual, the 5v reference is common to all the sensors. But the Grounds are not. But the grounds for the TPS, MAP are common to one another. Either connecting to the same pin or connected in the harness.
My question is, Are the color codes for the wires the same in all 3800 motors as the manual suggests, or should I look for a sorce that is more specific to my 02 MC SS?
The manual say I am looking for Black wires for both grounds, grey for the 5V reference, Lt Green signal wire for the MAP, and Dk Blue for the TPS signal.
The Wether is supposed to be good for "Shade Tree" Mechanics here in jersey this w/e. So I will be found under my hood. I know once I remove the harnes I can trace the wires from end to end. But I like to know what I'm looking for before I go looking for it.
Also, does anyone have the pin outs for the ECM. That would really help in knowing the wires are on the right pins. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good morning MCF,
So I took the Air filter housing apart and found that both wire harnes connectors to the PCM were not seated correctly. So I unbolted them, reseated them and rehooked everything up. (Why did GM not give any play or flexability in the wiring harness. Its a good thing the harnesess are bolted into the computer!) No more hi idle problem! :-D. My gas mileage is up from 12.5 to 24.3 MPG combined hiway/city. That average after putting 200 miles on the car in a 24 hr. period!
Next is the STALLING WHEN STARTING WHEN THE MOTOR IS WARM! I have to hold the gas peddle and let the motor catch up to itself. In a tread here, I reed that the EGR valve can cause that be freezeing up when it is hot.
The enging also surges a little when I am driving but otherwise it runs much better. It's still not perfect but its Wow worthy!
I tried to do the Fuel Filter but it's frozed. ($69.00 at Pepboys) Even after spraying liquid wrech and letting it sit for an hr. I don't want to strip the nut on the hard line and have to replace it! More work to do but my SS is getting better.
Thanks to all you knowledgeable guys and gals here on MCF for giuding me in the right direction!!!!! B-)

Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good to hear you're getting the gremlins worked out. If you're going to be turning the wrenches on your car you may want to consider picking up a flare nut wrench set. They are invaluable whenever working with fuel, brake, power steering & AC hoses. One to hold the nut on the filter and another for the line nut and you can break the toughest, rusted fittings loose.