Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

question on sub wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 AM
3 Year Member
Default question on sub wiring

So i invested in a whole new system for the monte. I am getting an alpine type r dual voice coil 12" sub with both coils at 4 ohms and rated at 500RMS. Here is my amp http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=314

I think the best way to wire the amp would be to bridge the 2 channels and wire the sub in parallel. The amp is also rated at 500 rms. I dont want to wire it so that it could potentially blow the woofer due to stupidity. Thoughts?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by novagenesis300
So i invested in a whole new system for the monte. I am getting an alpine type r dual voice coil 12" sub with both coils at 4 ohms and rated at 500RMS. Here is my amp http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=314

I think the best way to wire the amp would be to bridge the 2 channels and wire the sub in parallel. The amp is also rated at 500 rms. I dont want to wire it so that it could potentially blow the woofer due to stupidity. Thoughts?
Ok the amp you are looking at is 1 x 500w at 4 ohm Rms so wire it in series so you stay at 4 ohm + to + And - to - And don't blow your sub

If you wire the sub in parallel + to - and - to + it would be 1 x 1000 x 2ohm and blow your 500 w sub

Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Blazed SS
Ok the amp you are looking at is 1 x 500w at 4 ohm Rms so wire it in series so you stay at 4 ohm + to + And - to - And don't blow your sub

If you wire the sub in parallel + to - and - to + it would be 1 x 1000 x 2ohm and blow your 500 w sub
Actually, if you have a woofer with two (2) 4 ohm coils and wire them in parallel, your going to get 2 ohms ( think of it as 2 subs each with 4 ohms per coil ). + to + and - to -

If you wire them in Series, your going to get 8 ohms. + to - to + to -

Your best bet is to wire it in Parallel and turn down the gain. I would set it at about half gain.

Last edited by The Popcorn King; 01-10-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I think you could run this amp at 2 ohm bridged. If it doesn't work than the amp will go into protect and shut off thus saving your amp.

Since their DVC subs wire each subs coils in series to make 4 ohm (assuming each coil is 2 ohm) wire into the + and out the - next to it to the opposite - and out the +.

Repeat for the other sub. Than take the 2 + and connect them together to + output on amp and connect the 2 - together and connect them to the - on the amp.

So each sub coils are hooked in series to make the subs 4 ohm. than take the 2 subs hooked in parallel to take it back to 2 ohm overall.

This is why I always run mono block amps for subs because you never have the confusion of bridging the amp for subs to get lower ohms with more power.

Last edited by jaws2008; 01-10-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM

if you didnt get that kenwood amp, turn away, turn away right now! because i hate hate hate kenwood subs and amps, they have always failed on me, i trust JBL, alpine, zapco, even hifonics (their high end stuff is good), also RE audio, did i mention alpine?

you cna wire that many ways, you can wire it parallel parallel to get it to 1 ohm, idealy the best, it'll allow you to get much mroe power out of a subs, but do not forget! the less resistance and more power you have the more strain you put on both your electrical system and you're subs and amps.

here is what i suggest
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-2000DEV3.html

and 2 of
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o-SEX10D4.html

I don't think these subs can hit as high a frequency range, the type R's do like 100-400 range, i think these might do 100-150 range. but for a sealed cabin, that will give you more oomph, but dont go ported box unless you are going to have some good equalization control.

also as noted above by another member don't run dual channel amps on subs, although they work ideal in some situations, this is not one of them their best when you already have a large resistance sub and you need a high output at something like 4 ohms. cause bridged channels usialy run at 4 ohms.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 01-10-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I think you could run this amp at 2 ohm bridged. If it doesn't work than the amp will go into protect and shut off thus saving your amp.

Since their DVC subs wire each subs coils in series to make 4 ohm (assuming each coil is 2 ohm) wire into the + and out the - next to it to the opposite - and out the +.

Repeat for the other sub. Than take the 2 + and connect them together to + output on amp and connect the 2 - together and connect them to the - on the amp.

So each sub coils are hooked in series to make the subs 4 ohm. than take the 2 subs hooked in parallel to take it back to 2 ohm overall.

This is why I always run mono block amps for subs because you never have the confusion of bridging the amp for subs to get lower ohms with more power.
thank you that is what i was tring to say

Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008

Just so you know i am only running 1 sub with a ported box. Here is the sub I am getting.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-1242d

Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM

i thought you said you were running two of them. idk how i came to that conclusion, just slap this amp with that type R

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-MRP-M500.html

call it done, that amp is designed for that sub. jsut wire it in parallel, plug it it in, and call it a day.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by novagenesis300
Just so you know i am only running 1 sub with a ported box. Here is the sub I am getting.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-1242d
HAH. sorry miss read post..

Just wire the subs coils in parallel. and bridge the amp.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
3 Year Member

ok. if its pumping 500 watts in bridged mode at 4 ohms, then wont running the two 4 ohm coils in parallel reduce the resistance to the amp to 2 ohms therefore pushing the sub to 1000 watts? Like I said, I just want to be 100% sure cause i dont want to blow subs left and right.

Quick Reply: question on sub wiring