Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

E85

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:22 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default E85

Not sure how many people on here run it (and the search doesn't work for 3 letter words), but I was curious about something. For those who don't drive their car much, but run on E85- what do you do to keep the E85 from separating / causing rust due to picking up moisture?

I'm setting the monte up for E85, but it obviously won't be a DD. I imagine my biggest down times will be the middle of summer (since I took out the AC) and the middle of "winter" (where it just get too cold after dark). Just playing around on google, I saw various horror story threads where the ethanol picked up water and started to separate out, fuel injectors rusting internally from the water, and even a pretty strong negative article on the Injector Dynamics page.

Some people were saying to run it almost dry, and fill up with gas w/ stabil if it's going to sit for awhile- others swear by certain additives. I did read one website that said none of the additives work because nothing can prevent alcohol from picking up moisture from the air.

I know back in Indiana, many of the E85 guys used to swap over to gas for the winter, but that was usually more for cold starts than anything. I run E-85 in my Impala every so often if we're near a station, but I also burn through at least a tank a week.

So, thoughts on what to do with E85 when you know it's going to sit for awhile?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sta-bil would probably be the solution IMO...
It helps against fuel breakdown either in separation or turning to varnish....

I do know E-85 burns up super quick....

So
The real question is.... Is it worth running E 85?

I will say no matter what vehicle I am using... (as an example)
When I have tried Citco gas... It burns up super quick and my fuel mileage goes way down...
Kinda like E-85 IMO...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-10-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:30 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Sta-bil would probably be the solution IMO...
It helps against fuel breakdown either in separation or turning to varnish....
Do you mean Stabil's ethanol treatment or Stabil 360?

I picked up some Lucas stuff for my first tank, but once I get to driving it again, I would imagine I'll use up the fuel pretty quick since I haven't driven her in so long. So I'm very open to switching additives, and I'm also planning a little further down the road like July/August when it'll be too hot to drive.

I do know E-85 burns up super quick....
Not sure what you mean here by burning up? Are you talking about the fuel going bad quickly or about the combustion of the fuel?

So
The real question is.... Is it worth running E 85?

I will say no matter what vehicle I am using... (as an example)
When I have tried Citco gas... It burns up super quick and my fuel mileage goes way down...
Kinda like E-85 IMO...
I used to run it all the time back in Indiana in my Impala. Obviously gas mileage goes down by a good bit, but it was also like 1/2 the price of normal gas- so it ended up being a pinch cheaper. With how much I drive the Impala, fuel sitting around was never a concern.

My intent to use it in the monte is as a cheap, widely available race gas. E85 isn't that much cheaper than normal gas out here, but it is certainly much cheaper than any kind of race gas, even with the bad gas mileage factored in. Plus, there are stations all over the valley, as well as out to California too vs race gas that tends to only be sold in 55 gallon drums, or near race tracks.

Also, I'm not concerned at all about gas mileage in the monte. The EGR delete and cam together took a bit hit on fuel economy. Another 30% loss in economy doesn't matter to me at all. It's just a toy, not a DD. I DD the vette, and it gets a solid 30mpg flat on the highway- so I can save on gas that way, lol.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:50 PM

I have been running e85 in mine also my brother has been as well in his chevy suburban and Camaro. his lz1 has been built like yours has he has his Camaro sit from mid novemeber to march with a quarter of a tank of the e85. but it is in a garage which is a little warmer in there than out side. he hasent have had a problem yet. he does the oil and a tune up before he parks it though. he uses 0w30 and acdelco platinums I think. but that is what the tech said if he was going to let it sit for a while put in a oil that will go threw the engine fast till it warms up. he hasn't had a problem yet he has the 2010 Camaro the one with the v8. he hasn't had a problem with the e85. I think he stores it with a full tank. I will talk to him to see if he does I think he does but I am not sure