Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Disappearing oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Disappearing oil

2002 SS with 116,000 miles. I noticed that my car seems to need a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. It never drips on the ground and I don't think it is using it. I noticed at the bottom of the engine on the passenger side that there is like a rubber looking thing and it looks like some oil may be laying in it. I wish I could explain what I mean better. It's kind of under the belt. It's hard to see without shining a flashlight down there. But if it was leaking a quart every 3,000 wouldn't it drip on the ground? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I assume you are running conventional motor oil? There is a certain amount of oil "consumed" with every mile driven. A quart in 3000 miles does seem a bit on the high side to me.
The area you describe is suggesting a possible leak at the oil pressure sending unit. If I recall, it's located roughly under the power steering pump, accessed by removing the front passenger side tire and possibly the inner fender skirt. If that is the leak, I believe it's fairly easy and cheap to replace. Sometimes you can catch the leak by removing the wire from it, start the car and carefully looking in the connector of the sending unit (may require a mirror) and you may catch oil seeping through. Or if the you see signs of oil on the connecting wire and connector, that too may assist in proving that to be the issue.

These units can fail anywhere between 100,000-150,000 miles.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I assume you are running conventional motor oil? There is a certain amount of oil "consumed" with every mile driven. A quart in 3000 miles does seem a bit on the high side to me.
The area you describe is suggesting a possible leak at the oil pressure sending unit. If I recall, it's located roughly under the power steering pump, accessed by removing the front passenger side tire and possibly the inner fender skirt. If that is the leak, I believe it's fairly easy and cheap to replace. Sometimes you can catch the leak by removing the wire from it, start the car and carefully looking in the connector of the sending unit (may require a mirror) and you may catch oil seeping through. Or if the you see signs of oil on the connecting wire and connector, that too may assist in proving that to be the issue.

These units can fail anywhere between 100,000-150,000 miles.
I am running Castrol GTX High Mileage oil. I will definitely check out the oil sending unit. We just had one go bad on our 97 Grand Am. Oil and smoke was going everywhere lol. Thanks for the info! I will have to take a look and see if that is the issue. I thought that they hardly ever went bad.