Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

disappearing nameplates for 2012

Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Default disappearing nameplates for 2012

I read in USA Today that the following cars and trucks will not be back for 2012. I am sad to see some of them go and don't care about others. The entire Mercury line is gone. Also gone are the Ford Crown Victoria and Lincoln Towncar. I had to see the Grand Marquis and the Towncar go away. I guess the cops will have to find another mode of transport to the donut shop. Also on the gone list is the Dodge Dakota pickup. Styling on this one has been hit or miss from the beginning but I hate to see it go. The Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS and STS are history. The Chevrolet HHR is gone too. I didn't like the HHR nearly as well as the PT Cruiser that it copied but that is nearly the end of the retro style cars. Sorry to see it go. The Ford Ranger which needed a facelift long ago is also gone. I think Ford is making a huge mistake. The Mitsubishi Endeavor, the Mazda Tribute, Honda Element, Nissan Altima Hybrid are also gone and I doubt they will be missed. Lastly the Lotus Elise is gone too. That car had odd styling too. Love hate thing there. I won't miss it.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 09-28-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

im kinda sad to see the dakota go but the rest pretty much ran there corse the ranger is horable its the same pretty much as the 94s & one that needs to go is the Colorado & Canyon those are horable aswell

Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow the Lincoln towncar is a surprise. It is kinda the standard car for the executive rental fleet vehicles.
The STS is way nicer than the regular cts.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
im kinda sad to see the dakota go but the rest pretty much ran there corse the ranger is horable its the same pretty much as the 94s & one that needs to go is the Colorado & Canyon those are horable aswell
Some of them have run there course. I agree the Ranger is the same basic truck since 1993. The Ranger needed a redo but not elimination. The Colorado and the Canyon both need a redo as well. I don't like that if you are looking for a small truck, the only choices other than the Colorado/Canyon is an import. The Towncar also needed a facelift or redo, but again no choices for a full size rear wheel drive car. I like the 300 and Charger but I don't consider them to be full size.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good Riddens!! Lol, only one that I wish they would keep is the ranger but that is only becuase with them discontinuing it the plant here in St. Paul, MN is shutting down and there will be a loss of alot of jobs, there has been talks between St. Paul and Ford for years, trying to keep them using it, even just reperpous the plant but Ford is just shutting it down,

Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 AM

wait what the hell will Cadillac have if they give up the DTS? its basically the only full size Cadillac left on the street than can honestly wear the Cadillac badge. and yet truly Ford is making a huge mistake giving up the ranger, especially all the commercial accounts they have with auto parts delivery stores. i know they're trying to push the new transit which costs 36% more than the Ranger.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 AM

So what is Ford replacing the Ranger with? Surely they're not getting out of the small truck market. And is Dodge going to replace the Dakota with anything? or are they completely getting out of that market as well?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
So what is Ford replacing the Ranger with? Surely they're not getting out of the small truck market. And is Dodge going to replace the Dakota with anything? or are they completely getting out of that market as well?
These are my main questions also.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
The Dakota was a nice truck but never sold in huge numbers. Obama gave Chrysler to Fiat and I predict that Fiat will bring in more Fiat models sold in Chrysler dealerships and Chrysler will disappear slowly. This is just the beginning. I have not heard of any replacement for the Ranger. I do know that with the new fuel economy figures for both cars and trucks coming in 2015 and another one after that, we will see a lot of cars disappear. For 2015 the figure is average 35 MPG. This means that most cars sold will have to be Toyota Prius type cars. The MPG rating after 2015 is 50 MPG. The Prius doesn't even get that. If you want a big car get it now because soon they won't exist.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
Obama gave Chrysler to Fiat and I predict that Fiat will bring in more Fiat models sold in Chrysler dealerships and Chrysler will disappear slowly.
OUCH!!! I hate to hear this being an old school Mopar fan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: disappearing nameplates for 2012