Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

DHP tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Default DHP tuner

I'm trying to find a used tuner and came upon a used DHP tuner. I searched google and came up with mixed reviews on them. Does anyone here use a DHP tuner? Basically all I want to do is tune it to run a 3.4 pulley without KR. Thank you for any input

Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 PM

...`Lab, I will put it on my search list...I hope that one of our member's can assist...Good Luck
Below has a rebate

Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
See price in cart
Free Shipping
Rating (429) Lurking inside your engine is a wellspring of asphalt-melting energy that wants to be released by a Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer. Unlike other power programmers and diesel tuners, the Max Energy is dyno-proven to add up to 176 hp for diesels and 57 hp for gas motors. Extra tuning settings are built into this Hypertech power programmer. Lifetime Warranty.

Hypertech Max Energy E-Con
Only $329.99
Free Shipping
Rating (64) Not all power programmers are engineered for tire-smoking performance. The Hypertech Max Energy E-Con power programmer tweaks your motor’s settings to maximize fuel economy, saving you a bundle of bucks at the pump. And, this power programmer boasts an easy plug-and-play installation. Lifetime Warranty.

DiabloSport PC Interface - USB Cable Kit
Only $39.95
Free Shipping
Rating (12) Link your DiabloSport Predator power programmer to your laptop with the DiabloSport PC Interface. This handy kit comes with a USB cable and 12V power supply—everything you need to upload custom tunes and stream live data to your PC. 2-year warranty.
http://www.autoanything.com/performa...0A50211A1.aspx

Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Thank you. I think I'm going to get it. I know an hp tuner is probably better and easier to use, but in the end the dhp is going to do what I need and the used on is in my price range, plus it doesn't require credits.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was going to say, the HPTuners is good from what I've heard, but you have to have the credits. With the DHP you will be able to do what you need to do.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM

I use a DHP tuner (although I plan to get HPT eventually for stand alone data logging and for tuning my GXP). IMO, its unbeatable for the money- I've seen them go as low as $150 used- barely more than a canned pcm.

As for bad reviews on them- the built in scan tool sucks, and the graphical interface is cheap and plain. But honestly, if you can get past that- the amount of stuff you can do change with it is amazing- probably more than you'll know what to do with for quite a while.

Also, with the advent of Tiny Tuner for the Powrtuner (free download)- it has opened up tons more editing options (and is open source, so you can map your own parameters if you're computer savvy enough).

For someone just getting into tuning, especially if you don't have any immediate plans to tune anything else- the Powrtuner blows HPT out of the water in value for the money.

One thing to keep in mind (With any tuner)- there isn't going to be a magic button that says "less KR"- you're going to have to go through a long learning process of how to do a proper tune (and probably goof up plenty of times)- to know what needs adjusted and where. The 3800's aren't that bad to tune, but if you're brand new to tuning as a whole, it can be very overwhelming.

The only other downside I see to a tuner, is it gives you access to a lot of stuff which can potentially destroy your engine and transmission if you're not careful. The stuff is pretty obviously labeled, but it allows you to change limits and other abuse limiting features which can otherwise protect your engine. As long as you learn what you're doing, and know what the changes you're making will do before you just go playing with adjusting stuff all over the place, then you'll be fine.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 AM

Thank you for the Information. I ended up passing on the dhp tuner. My summer tires are shot so I'm going to have to replace those. I increased the pulley to a 3.6 which made the KR only occur WOT just before the up shift so I can avoid it completely 99% of the time, especially since I'll be putting my snow tires on and taking it really easy until spring

I plan on doing something with my tax return, either by getting a used tuner or breaking down and having it tuned, it all depends on how much my return is.

BTW is there a good resource for tuning information so I can start doing some research. Thank you

Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am looking for a used tuner myself, is the one you were going to get still available? Could you PM me please if it still is?? I really need one but can only afford used.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Default chips

i have been doing some reading and i just cant make up my mind so hopfuly some one on here can help i was looking at getting a preformance chip in my car ( 2001 monte carlo ss) and i was wondering if it was really worth it?