Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Cylinder one misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
1 Year Member
Default Cylinder one misfire

2000 monte ss, check engine light on, code says cylinder one misfire. I've replaced the plugs, wire, and coils. Before replacing this, the motor was burning some oil, just did an oil change, so I figured I spilled some. But after replacing the plugs, and other things I noticed that it would smoke. Popped the hood and its coming from the first spark plug on the left, plug 3 I believe. My light is still on, and you can here the misfire. At a dead end, not sure what to do now.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What did you replace with? If it was Bosch, that could still be the issue.

If not, suspect fueling as the issue too. Maybe the injector is stuck

Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You are getting smoke from the first spark plug???
My guess it that you have either you are burning oil spilled on/around plug 1, a bad plug, a mis-threaded plug or a cracked head (assuming I understand correct and you are getting smoke from the plug).

If the plugs you used are BOSCH, rip-em out. BOSCH plugs have high failure and sometimes no luck after install (another words problems after install). Stick with AC Delco or NGK.

Normal causes of a specific cylinder mis-firing are:
- Vacuum leak
- Plug
- Wire
- Injector
- Coil

Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You are getting smoke from the first spark plug???
My guess it that you have either you are burning oil spilled on/around plug 1, a bad plug, a mis-threaded plug or a cracked head (assuming I understand correct and you are getting smoke from the plug).

If the plugs you used are BOSCH, rip-em out. BOSCH plugs have high failure and sometimes no luck after install (another words problems after install). Stick with AC Delco or NGK.

Normal causes of a specific cylinder mis-firing are:
- Vacuum leak
- Plug
- Wire
- Injector
- Coil
i put in AC Delco plugs and, duralast wires. ill check the plug and see if it was in right. but as for checking to see if the injector is stuck? thanks for your help this website, is the best place to go to find out whats going on with you MC.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've heard of a method to get an ohm reading from each injector and find one that is really different (not totally accurate)
Any time I suspected an injector, I've had a guy I know who has access to a GM Tech II scan tool check things out. On most (if not all) modern GM cars, the GM Tech II allows him to turn off one injector at a time to find the one that makes the least change in engine performance and they tells you which one is the bad one.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've heard of a method to get an ohm reading from each injector and find one that is really different (not totally accurate)
Any time I suspected an injector, I've had a guy I know who has access to a GM Tech II scan tool check things out. On most (if not all) modern GM cars, the GM Tech II allows him to turn off one injector at a time to find the one that makes the least change in engine performance and they tells you which one is the bad one.
I'll try that. Thanks for you help, you reply to almost all my post and you know what you're talking about