Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Cylinder one misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 PM
1 Year Member
Default Cylinder one misfire?

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo ss non-supercharged. My check engine light is on, had the code read and it said cylinder one misfire. So I replaced the coil pack, that's wasn't it, got New spark plugs and wires, that didn't work either. Anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it, and what it's gonna cost?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Pre gapped spark plugs? Thats the only thing I can suggest.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 PM

I have the same thing going on in my monte also and the GM guy said that it is a wiring problem...the only thing is he doesn't know which one it could possibly be

Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

From my experience, a single cylinder problem on these car is usually one of the following (in order):
- Plug
- Plug Wire
- Coil (typically it will cause 2 cylinders to misfire)
- Injector
- Some electrical problem (such as a failed wire for an injector)

You've changed plug and coil. I'd say inspect the plug wire itself for signs of damage. After that, it might come down to an injector gone bad. You can try a couple bottles of injector cleaner but I have yet to see that fix a failed injector.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM
1 Year Member

I just yesterday replaced the plugs and wires for the front side (odds), then took it for a spin and the check engine light started to flash and then constantly remained. I agree that it is electrical because now I'm starting to have my turn signals work when they feel like it. Also if its running longer than about 15 minuets you can smell burning oil, or possibly rubber, not to sure my dad says that it is oil, but it's parked in the garage and no signs of leaks. Also the plugs were gapped to 60, that's what the dude at autozone told me to do. Ay help is appreciated.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by blackmonte02
I have the same thing going on in my monte also and the GM guy said that it is a wiring problem...the only thing is he doesn't know which one it could possibly be
I found out the problem it was actually the 3,6 coil pack! Pooped off the wires from the pack on by on and they were all sparking, then I took out the plugs and then when I got to #3 it wasn't sparking like the others, so I swaped it with the one in my 04 impala and that was it, now I gotta get a new pack and see if the engine check light comes off. Thanks to everyone who responded its greatly appreciated

Old 03-30-2013, 06:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You really should get a test light that goes inline with the wire and coil. Popping the wires off like that on a modern computer controlled car can cause some damage.

Based on your test, is the point on the one coil corroded? If so, try cleaning it with a scotch brite pad.

BTW - In my opinion, don't buy a parts store coil. Get a Delco OR get one from a junk yard (in my experience with these the after market ones do not hold up like factory, I'll take a salvage one first).

Maybe get a set of L67 coils and upgrade

Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You really should get a test light that goes inline with the wire and coil. Popping the wires off like that on a modern computer controlled car can cause some damage.

Based on your test, is the point on the one coil corroded? If so, try cleaning it with a scotch brite pad.

BTW - In my opinion, don't buy a parts store coil. Get a Delco OR get one from a junk yard (in my experience with these the after market ones do not hold up like factory, I'll take a salvage one first).

Maybe get a set of L67 coils and upgrade
Took it for a dive and still herd it, but now I'm not so sure if its even a misfire but rather something rattleing around. Either that or its something electrical.