Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Crankshaft Positioning Sensor - 97 Monte

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Default Crankshaft Positioning Sensor - 97 Monte

Hey all,

My 97 Monte Carlo is throwing a code that the crankshaft positioing sensor needs replaced. From what I've been told, replacing it is a matter of sliding the old one out and a new one in. However, I don't know where the sensor is or how much work it will take to get to it. If anyone here could help me out with instructions of how to get to it (or if I'm better off just taking it to a shop) I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 01-24-2010, 03:08 PM

Instructions for the 3.8 are as follows - 3.1 is similar but appears that there is no crankshaft pos sensor shield. Disconnect neg bat cable. remove serp belt from crankshaft pulley. raise vehic. remove RF wheel/tire. remove rf inner fender access cover. remove crankshaft harmonic balancer. remove crankshaft position sensor shield. disconncect sensor conector. remove attaching bolts from sensor. remove sensor. install would be the reverse.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by JaxJim
Instructions for the 3.8 are as follows - 3.1 is similar but appears that there is no crankshaft pos sensor shield. Disconnect neg bat cable. remove serp belt from crankshaft pulley. raise vehic. remove RF wheel/tire. remove rf inner fender access cover. remove crankshaft harmonic balancer. remove crankshaft position sensor shield. disconncect sensor conector. remove attaching bolts from sensor. remove sensor. install would be the reverse.
this is one informative post. is this exclusive for the 3.8? I hope you can post more instructional stuff like crank position sensor replacement in the future

Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by robwofter
Hey all,

My 97 Monte Carlo is throwing a code that the crankshaft positioing sensor needs replaced. From what I've been told, replacing it is a matter of sliding the old one out and a new one in. However, I don't know where the sensor is or how much work it will take to get to it. If anyone here could help me out with instructions of how to get to it (or if I'm better off just taking it to a shop) I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rob
I have a faulty crank position sensor. I don't know where to get a replacement part. Can you possibly recommend a website or a local store? thanks

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JaxJim
I would suggest breaking the bolt loose before you jack up the car, they arent too fun. just remember you will need a new bolt too.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 PM

There are 2 crank sensors. one behind the harmonic balancer (24X sensor) and one on the firewall side of the engine block (7X sensor). you will need a professional scanner to read the data to determine which sensor you need. are there any driveability issues or does it run fine except for setting the code? what is the code? P0???
Hope this helps.