Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Will A Bad Crankshaft Sensor Cause A Monte Carlo to just Cut off In The Middle of Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Default Will A Bad Crankshaft Sensor Cause A Monte Carlo to just Cut off In The Middle of Driving?

I have a 2000 chevy monte carlo pace car with a 3.8 engine and for some odd reason.. My car would just cut off in the middle of driving or some times when im at a red light. i went to autozone and they put the diagnostic test on it and it came up as crankshaft sensor, but would that cause the vehicle to just cut off?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Default RE: Will A Bad Crankshaft Sensor Cause A Monte Carlo to just Cut off In The Middle of Driving?

[align=center]Hi Eric,[/align][align=center]How many miles are on your SS ?[/align][align=center]The below is information on Crankshaft sensor, I hope[/align][align=center]it explains it for you.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]A crank sensor is a component used in an internal combustion engine to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control ignition system timing and other engine parameters. Before electronic crank sensors were available, the distributor would have to be manually adjusted to a timing mark on the engine.[/align][align=center]The crank sensor can be used in combination with a similar camshaft position sensor to monitor the relationship between the pistons and valves in the engine, which is particularly important in engines with variable valve timing. It is also commonly the primary source for the measurement of engine speed in revolutions per minute.[/align][align=center]Crank sensors in engines usually consist of magnets and an inductive coil, or they may be based on magnetically triggered Hall effect semiconductor devices. Common mounting locations include the main crank pulley, the flywheel, and occasionally on the crankshaft itself. This sensor is the most important sensor in modern day engines. When it fails, there is a small chance the engine will start (engine will likely cut out after a few minutes of driving) [:@][X(]but it mostly will not start.[/align][align=center]Some engines, such as GM's Premium V family, use crank position sensors which read a reluctor ring integral to the harmonic balancer. This is a much more accurate method of determining the position of the crankshaft, and allows the computer to determine within a few degrees the exact position of the crankshaft (and thereby all connected components) at any given time.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Eric, I think it may have to replace your sensor : ([/align][align=center]Good Luck from `Space[/align]