Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): cooling system , etc help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM
1 Year Member
Default cooling system , etc help needed

Hi im still kinda new here but i have some questions i hope can be answered or put in the right direction please. I recently bought a 2000 monte carlo ss with the 3800 engine. The car runs great except for a few issues.

1. The mileage gauge and the air conditioner blower seem to intermittently go off in the middle of driving. I have checked fuses and tried to search for a schematic for where they attach and what sensors/switches they run into.

2. The car will just cut off when it is hot outside and take a while to allow the car to start again. I have been testing in different temps (times of day) and this definately related to the temperature, however when i had my check engine light codes examined there was no code related to a temperature sensor, thermostat , or cooling fan issue. The cooling fans do not come on and my low coolant level light used to stay warning me, but hasnt in a while. It did this even after the cooling fluids were filled. where can i find the relays for the fans or is there something else i should check ?

3. The CEL codes turned out to be for the O2 sensors and the crankshaft position sensor. I have looked and cant seem to find the location of all of the O2 sensors or a picture of the crankshaft position sensor. any help is appreciated.

Lastly i had seen a thread on here for the instructions for looking through the computer from the radio interface and i cant seem to find them anymore. Can anyone please post that link back up or provide a proper manual for this ?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Im a network engineer for a living so if anyone needs computer help please just ask.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM

This diagram may help -

Last edited by DE02Carlo; 10-02-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks that gives some insight, it looks like something is missing from the right datagram, i can tell that is the crankshaft position sensor, does it extend off the datagram to the left ? Also i only see one O2 sensor, is that correct ? Ok never mind about the right datagram i can place it by the oil filter

Last edited by LauderdaleMonte; 10-02-2012 at 08:12 PM.