Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Cooling fan relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Default Cooling fan relay

One week after buying my car the "check engine" light came on while driving on the freeway. All the gauges looked good so I didn't panic and got it to the nearest Autozone. They hooked it to the computer and the code said I had a bad cooling fan relay. There were actually 3 relays marked "cooling fan" so I replaced all three. Started the car back up and the check engine light was off - so GTG right? Unfortunately the very next day the check engine light came on again w/ the same code! Anybody have a similar problem of know where to go from here?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ohiobronco
One week after buying my car the "check engine" light came on while driving on the freeway. All the gauges looked good so I didn't panic and got it to the nearest Autozone. They hooked it to the computer and the code said I had a bad cooling fan relay. There were actually 3 relays marked "cooling fan" so I replaced all three. Started the car back up and the check engine light was off - so GTG right? Unfortunately the very next day the check engine light came on again w/ the same code! Anybody have a similar problem of know where to go from here?
I might be having the same exact problem as you. One if the relays say cooling fans 2&3 and the other says cooling fan 1 I THINK. My cel has been on and off also. I also keep blowing the cooling fan fuse for #1. If i can remember correctly the code was ?P0480?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 AM

That's the code! cel went off last night and back on again this morning. Anybody out there have any suggestions????

Old 06-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ohiobronco
That's the code! cel went off last night and back on again this morning. Anybody out there have any suggestions????
Im not sure. My CEL hasnt been on since but still blows that fuse so im going to probably hard wire that fan to a switch...

Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 AM

I'm sorry I can't seem to help you as I am also experiencing the same problem as yours. I already replaced my cooling fan relay but nothing happened it just keeps on coming back. Please can anyone help us out. Thanks.

Last edited by clement; 02-04-2013 at 06:34 PM.