Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Coolant issues... ongoing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Coolant issues... ongoing

Hello... Hopefully someone can help with this ongoing coolant issue... I own a 2003 Monte SS 3.8 I forget the name of the plastic elbow by the water pump, but i had that replaced late summer as it was leaking bad. The area around it seems drt so I assume its no longer leaking. My problem is im getting a strong oder of coolant inside the cabin. Almost to the point that i must keep the selector switch on recerc just to breath... The level itself doent really seem to be dropping... I remember reading somewhere of either a recall or a perminent fix for this elbow. If indeed you think that is the cause... I am using 50/50 mix coolant (switched to a generic brand ok for my motor)... Anyone have any ideas? I do have a constant engine light due to a faulty BCM and as soon as i can afford it, car will be taken to GM as its reakin havoc on everything from electrical issues down to hard shifting. One last thought... I have always had a 'water russhing' sound up in the fash area when slowly going thru my neighborhood. In other words, slow speeds... Thanx a bunch! Chad

Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM

If the odor of coolant is as strong as you say inside the car, then I think you either have a leak in the heater core or a leak on one of the heater core fittings. The heater core is essentially a small radiator located under the dash that air flows through to provide you with heat. Even a small leak inside the cabin would probably smell bad.

The sound of rushing water can't be good either. Not sure if that's related or not. Could be that your A/C condensor drain hose is clogged. Then water would collect inside the A/C unit under the dash. There should be a rubber drain hose coming out the firewall - Here's a service bulletin that another member posted - it was for the 1995-1999 montes, but probably applies to your car as well.

Condition:
Some customers may comment that the carpet on the front passenger side is wet.

Cause:
This may be caused by foreign material plugging the evaporator case drain.

Correction:
Inspect the evaporator case drain for plugging.

1) Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
2) Remove the rubber elbow from the evaporator case drain tube by pulling the elbow straight off.
3) Insert a 9 mm (11/32 in) drill bit, or any other similar-type instrument, into the evaporator case drain to clean out the material that is blocking the drain. (The distance to the other side of the evaporator case is 130 mm (5 in)).
4) Re-install the evaporator case drain rubber elbow. A small amount of silicone spray on the inside of the rubber tube will allow it to be slipped into place very easily. Be sure that the rubber elbow drain hole is open.
5) If the evaporator case drain was not plugged, a water leak test will need to be performed using normal water testing procedures.
6) If no external water leak was found and the vehicle returns for the same type concern, the evaporator case will have to be removed from the vehicle and the foreign material removed from the evaporator case.