Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Serious Ongoing Trans problems 4T65E-HD 06' Monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Exclamation Serious Ongoing Trans problems 4T65E-HD 06' Monte SS

Help Guys! Any thoughts would be greatly helpful!
New to this site, I have had new Lumina's and Monte's for the last 12 years. Put 311K on one of them. I'm not a newbie to cars at 48 years old and a tech. But this is really killing me. Read this;
06 SS Monte 35K on the clock Purchased the car Easter this year and only able to be driven aprox 4K since purchase, under Warranty till 100K, 2 Dealers have put Three Trans's in this car and now sent to an outside trans shop and has been there for the past month, The independent tech's seem to be struggling with this too, This last trans has been in and out of the car a few times to keep adding parts to the valvebody. The Tech is very knowlegeable but, GM won't talk to him directly. GM tech's at two seperate dealers can't nail down TCC lock-up issue, Tach bounces while on the open highway and it over heats around town , Also worst of all it Automatically does it's own neutral slams at a light, Not good.
The independant tech has removed and rebuilt the last GM replacement which only ran for less than 600 miles since GM replaced it. He found amongest the over heating and heat damage, a shot chain that was hitting the casing. Makes me wonder what kind of quailty we get. After the tech has completely rebuilt the trans, new torque converter and even added sonnax TTC valves new valves etc etc in the valve body, the lock-up/ clutch is is still not functioning properly. He called me friday to give me the bad news I think he is fed up too. Anyone else had issues with this?
Was there a fix?
As of friday, Now they're talking another junk Reman GM transmission.
Ugggg.
Thanks Guys,
Robert P~

Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think its time to look past the transmission and take a look at the computer. To me it sounds like its not the transmission causing the problem, but what is controlling the trans. Take it to the dealer and tell them you want a new ECM put in. If its got a 100k powertrain warranty, the computer should fall under the powertrain and should be covered.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:25 PM

I can only assume that someone has checked the cooler and lines for an obstruction/clog, I would hope so, after all those problems there has to be all kinds of nastys running around the cooler. After all those problems GM should be installing a NEW not reman. (demand it) crate trans at N/C to you, Inquire about installing an additional external filter after the prob. is resolved. I installed one, uses a FL1A Ford (or GM equiv. if you want the right color) spin on and I change it at every oil change. One last thought, is the outside contractor using Dexron VI, He better be, My 3 cents

Aaron

Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Isn't that starting to get close to being considered a lemon? I know the 5.3 people have trouble with the 4t65's, but thats crazy, I'd be pretty furious...

Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like Bumpin said, there are lemon laws...I think its 3 strikes, not sure though. I would take it back to GM and make them fix it, and just keep shoving that car down their thoat till they do something for you, or fix it.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:29 AM

Thanks guys for all your responses!
Yes the cooler lines were allegedly tested and flushed/ pressure tested and pressure rise test readings were performed. By all their accounts, the computer/ECM was tested to be sending the correct signals and voltages to the proper valving as required.
It just won't stay locked up. Yeah I'm kind of furious, but losing my temper at this point (after being so patient for all this time) isn't going to do my blood pressure any favors, don't want a heart attack over this stress. No it is not eligible for a Lemon in Pa. Lemon Laws only apply to a "New vehicle purchase only" at least here in Pa. Maybe under the Magnusson act due to the the fact that warranty repairs have been unsuccessful 4 or more reasonable times.
I don't want a Mustang, those things are everywhere. I want this Monte to run! This Monte sure beats those 3.1s I had been driving for so long.
Sincerely,
Rob~

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One suggestion, have you tried calling GM directly for support? I have contacted their customer support, and had good luck. I was having an issue with my radio at 36,117 miles (117 mile out of factory warranty, but I have a GMPP warranty with $200 deductable). I explained the issue and they refunded me the $200 for my deductable (in form of a $200 GM certificate, but still better than nothing). They also gave me FREE oil changes for 1 year or 12,000 miles through GM Smart Care package (I of course paid extra for Mobil 1 because I would never put regular oil in my baby, but I was paying like $15 buck for FULL Synthetic oil changes done by the dealer). Anyway, you may try calling and see if there is anything they will do for you.

Are they giving you a rental? I would hope so.

Overall, GM produces good cars, and the Monte is one of them. I know your seems to be a lemon, which really sucks. I sure hope they get it fixed for you, and you can finally enjoy your Monte.

Keep us posted on your Monte/ repairs. I am curious now to hear the outcome.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks Michael,
I do have their loaner. Yeah sounds like the next try. But I have a sneaky suspicion that since I purchased the car just before the "New GM" I may be wasting my breath. Worth a shot though. I have documented everything, including pictures.
I will keep this thread going until a resoultion is at hand. I always had GM's, back to my 1st 1972 2DR Hardtop Bonneville 455 dual exhaust w/ 13k on it, 69 Elcamino SS 4sp, back in my twenties. Too old to change now!
Sincerely,
Rob~

Old 10-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Wow. Good luck with all of this. I really hope it works out eventually for you. I have the same car as you and I would hate to have this happen to me. Please keep us all posted.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 PM

There is no reason to put up with this B/S, like MAMONTE said, call GM customer service, old or new GM it's still their product and they should stand behind it. I'd be demanding a NEW crate trans after all the rebuilds I'm sure there is wear in the case, just from it being taken apart so many times, make sure they give you a NEW converter too not reman or flushed and again make sure they use Dexron VI, thankfully you fully documented all of the problems and their attempts at fixing it. stay on their *** and good luck

Quick Reply: Serious Ongoing Trans problems 4T65E-HD 06' Monte SS