Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 Coolant Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Default 04 Coolant Issues

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I have an 04 LS, nothing fancy but I love the car! I was wondering if anyone else have had a problem or 2 like me. I change the oil the other day and was checking the coolant, and the radiator has brown gunk all over in it. I was looking online and read in a couple places that the dex-cool crystalizes and turns into a brown goo. If anyone has had the problem, was there any warranty problems?
Also the tranny seems to messing up. When you slow down to say turn a corner then accelerate the down shifting of the tranny is pretty rough, I am very concerned about both.
I was just checking to see if anyone has had any problems like these so when I take it to the dealership they dont try to put it to me, so to speak. Well thanks for taking the time of reading, ANY posts would be great! Thanks again.

Old 05-22-2005, 02:46 AM
Default RE: 04 Coolant Issues

wow, this not very comforting, considering I just bought an 04 LS two days ago. I took it out on a long test drive and didn't notice any issues with the tranny shifting at all, which was exactly the reason I traded in my previous car for this one. I guess I should check the oil and all that good stuff too, huh? How many miles are on your car? Mine has 29k, so I've got about 7k before the warranty expires.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:30 PM

I bought the car with 8600 miles on it, I now have just over 20,000 miles on it. Yea I would certainly check the radiator fluid as well. I have read on msn auto that the 01's and 02's had a problem with a pressure soleniod in the tranny, but nobody has anything on the 04 yet. Glad someone replied!!! Take care!

Old 05-22-2005, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: GTown

I bought the car with 8600 miles on it, I now have just over 20,000 miles on it. Yea I would certainly check the radiator fluid as well. I have read on msn auto that the 01's and 02's had a problem with a pressure soleniod in the tranny, but nobody has anything on the 04 yet. Glad someone replied!!! Take care!
ahaha, I know, it's like a ghost town here. Hopefully traffic picks up, this is a nice board.

I'm gonna go out right now and check my fluids before it starts raining again.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:45 PM

Don't panic..... lol

Welcome to the forum...!!!

Well, that brown gunk is leak tabs put in the cooling system at the factory to prevent leakage from crapy GM gaskets. If it's under warranty, take it back and tell them your not happy. They will flush the system. Another thing you may want to address with your dealer is the long term problems associated with the temp & low cooling system sensors. Additionally, I think they are suppose to replace the radiator cap as well..

Chevy_jj,

I thought there was a TSB out on this. Would you happen to have any insight?

TVW

Old 05-22-2005, 09:47 PM

ahaha, I know, it's like a ghost town here. Hopefully traffic picks up, this is a nice board.

Sorry guy's, I have been on a road trip to LA since Friday.... I am at the Westin @ LAX as we speak ready to fly home tomorrow..

El Segundo is nice BTW, I spent most of the day today roaming most of the El Segundo area.

TVW

Old 05-22-2005, 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

Sorry guy's, I have been on a road trip to LA since Friday.... I am at the Westin @ LAX as we speak ready to fly home tomorrow..

El Segundo is nice BTW, I spent most of the day today roaming most of the El Segundo area.

TVW
no worries. I like this board and look forward to being here for a while, and hopefully learning alot about my Monte and ways to mod it.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:47 PM

i just had the recall on mine done for the dex cool
when i asked wha tthe poroblem was they said the old generation of the stuff was having a chemical reaction with the hoses and such so it was basically eating them from the inside out.

But they also told me dex cool is only good for 5 years (to the spec) and it will continue to grow thicker and thicker every passing year to that point and that after 5 years is is no longer doing its job.

i flush mine about every two years so this time they did it for me LOL

I have a 03 SS so not sure if it is the same for yours i would hope they have changed the fluids there putting in to the at the factopr also

Old 05-25-2005, 03:06 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

i just had the recall on mine done for the dex cool
when i asked wha tthe poroblem was they said the old generation of the stuff was having a chemical reaction with the hoses and such so it was basically eating them from the inside out.

But they also told me dex cool is only good for 5 years (to the spec) and it will continue to grow thicker and thicker every passing year to that point and that after 5 years is is no longer doing its job.

i flush mine about every two years so this time they did it for me LOL

I have a 03 SS so not sure if it is the same for yours i would hope they have changed the fluids there putting in to the at the factopr also
This is good to know. I have an appt at the dealer on Friday to see what's up w/my cd player, it won't load cd's I will be asking them to find out what, if any, recalls have been issued for my car which need to be done and have em take care of it.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:01 AM

hell i tookmine in for that to they cleand the heads and sent it out

but they did replace the seat belts YEAH!!!!!! they now actually retract when you unbuckel them so no more slamming them in the doors

Quick Reply: 04 Coolant Issues