Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Coolant Issue. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Coolant Issue. NEED HELP

I recently noticed that my coolant was brown and nasty, so I did a flush on the radiator. However, I didn't flush the whole system because I didnt get it warm enough to open the T-stat and flush coolant in motor. I did get the radiator good and cleaned out though. After "flushing" I reinstalled the lower coolant line and re-filled the radiator. Made sure everything was good, started it up for a bit, checked and re-added a little. The next day I drove to work and the low collant light came on. Got to work and noticed steam coming from near the overflow catch can area and behind the motor where I didn't touch anything. Went out to my car after work and checked the radiator. Couldn't even see coolant, so added. Got home and did research telling me to purge air out of the system, so I did that by opening the petcock up by the T-stat and adding while running until only coolant came out and no air bubbles. Thought maybe that was the issue. Drove to work the next day and low coolant light came on. Same steam from the firewall area passenger side. I can't figure out where it is leaking from. There is bubbling sound from firewall area (heater core???) now. Anyone have a suggestion to what is going on? There doesn't seem to be any coolant in oil, but it is leaking from somwhere. Did the new coolant magically create a leak or mess up an intake manifold gasket or something? Any ideas let me know. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

my first guess is either a heater hose has a little hole in it or its the coolant elbows...

Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would assume the coolant elbows are having a problem too.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM

I had a similar problem. The damn tubes that run coolant into and out of your TB; well one of them ripped on me without even knowing. So I kept adding coolant and finally saw it squirt out of the tiny hole. When your car is running at operating temperature, look under the car and see if there are any leaks. Also check the coolant hose going into the firewall from the heater tube (the black tube the goes under your throttlebody). Check your coolant hoses with a flashlight and see if there are any visible leaks.

If all else fails, by some dye or have a shope put dye in the coolant to see where it's coming from.

Try some Bars stop leak in the meantime. (looks like little metal shavings)