Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Check Engine Light On!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Check Engine Light On!

I know its been 1 day but I noticed my check engine light came on while driving to the bank today. On my way of driving there, I stopped off at "AutoZone" (where they check any dashboard and electrical problems with your car for free) for the to check it. The guy told me it is because of my:

001. - Failed EGR valve
002. - Carbon blockage of the pintle

Now, everybody I do not know what the heck I am looking at and why. All I know is that I want it fix. If its a DIY job, then I will complete it. If not, then a pro an handle that one. The question is what could it be? If solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 AM

I'm willing to bet money its your egr valve. Most newer gms have what they call a a digital EGR valve which contains the solenoid, valve and sensor all in one unit. 9 times out of 10 when you get any egr code for the valve (and you have 2 of them.), its a bad valve. Its a 5 min. job to replace it and anyone with a set of sockets can do it. I don't know what engine you have but on the 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8 its located on the drivers side of the engine and should look similar to this

Just undo the nuts (or bolts), electrical conncetion, clean up the gasket and intall the new one with a new gasket, clear the code and you should be good to go. I hope this helps

Old 07-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Another great/helpful post with chart by
Member LabNjab
Great `infor, & if that's not the prob,
check out for a bad `cat : (
MCF = Member's Help'in Member's
4-Sure.
Thanks, LabNjab

Old 07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by labnjab
I'm willing to bet money its your egr valve. Most newer gms have what they call a a digital EGR valve which contains the solenoid, valve and sensor all in one unit. 9 times out of 10 when you get any egr code for the valve (and you have 2 of them.), its a bad valve. Its a 5 min. job to replace it and anyone with a set of sockets can do it. I don't know what engine you have but on the 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8 its located on the drivers side of the engine and should look similar to this

Just undo the nuts (or bolts), electrical conncetion, clean up the gasket and intall the new one with a new gasket, clear the code and you should be good to go. I hope this helps
I really aprreciate it. I know it cost a lot to buy. Where exactly is it located? I have all the sockets in the world. LOL!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 AM

Its should be located next to the throttle body