Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car surges but no check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Default Car surges but no check engine light?

Hey there guys, Im new to the Monte and the OBDII diagnostic system. Will the check engine light come on for a intermitent miss or even a cronic miss?

I ask because I have noticed that sometimes when im driving, and not under heavy acceleration, I can feel the car sputter or surge, ususally it is not that noticable although I have had a few instances when I would be goin up a slight incline and the engin would bounce back and forth from say 2K and 1750 RPM, that is noticable. But I never get a check engine light, my first thought was I have a miss and need to do a tune up, the car has 82K miles on it so that is not out of the question unless the plugs had been changed by the previous owner.

If anyone here could tell me that Im goin crazy or if I have a more serious problem on my hands that would be much appreciated. Also does anyone here have an opinion about the auto x-ray scanners particulary the ez scan 6000? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Default RE: Car surges but no check engine light?

When is the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Next thought would be the cat...

Old 07-19-2006, 12:04 PM

To be perfectly honest I have no Idea if or when the fule filter had been replaced, I just bought the car about a month and a half ago. This surging has been goin on now for about two weeks. But those two suggestions also make sense, anything that would intermitendly restrict flow would cause surging. So this gets back to my original question of will there be a trouble code that could point me in the right direction if I get it scanned even though the check engine light has never come on? Although if it is the cat that could be my justification for a complete exhaust replacement, hi-flow cat, u-bend delete, and resonator delete also LOL. But in all seriousness, you would lean more toward the fule filter or cat instead of just needing a tune up?

Old 07-19-2006, 12:21 PM

From a cost standpoint, I would start with the simple stuff, fuel filter and tune up if they have not been done in a while. If unknown get them done.

The CAT is a long shot and would suspect the above mentioned first...

You may not get any codes from the CAT or the fuel filter.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:22 PM

That was my thinking behind the tune up to begin with, I dont know if it has ever been done, she has 82k on her so it is close to the point where a tune up would be a no brainer anyway, and along with the fuel filter they are the cheapest repairs/maintainence that I can be done at this point. I am planning on the tune up this weekend, what plugs do you recomend? are high end plugs like the bosch platinum +2 or +4 any good for the 3800 or are they a waste of money, and do you have an opinion on any plug wires? Also do you know if the fuel filter is a driveway job or does it need to be taken to a dealer/mechanic? I am more of a DIY guy, my dad and I have worked on all of our family cars, and actually we are planning a injector swap on his camaro soon too, just need some cooler weather, this 90+ heat wave is no good for workin on cars.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 AM

NGK Iridiums have a pretty good rep.... As far as wires go, I would stick with A/C Delco...

Fuel filter is an easy deal, it should be located under the drivers side along the body rail.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:56 PM

Alright sounds good, Im gonna try and get the parts tonight and get this taken care of this weekend...ill keep you updated. Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 PM

Let us know how things go...

Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM

WOW I never knew AC Delco was so much more expensive than any other wire set...$72.99 at Checker and Advance auto. Is the quality and performance that much better that Bosch or Autolite?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM

Out of the hanfull of times I have replaced wires, yes, I felt that the A/C Delco's were better..

Quick Reply: Car surges but no check engine light?