Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

CHANGING SHIFT POINTS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009
Default CHANGING SHIFT POINTS?

How much of a difference in time will change if the shift points are changed by tuning your pcm?

I ran 16.1 and it took a while for my car to shift so if i got a programmer and made the correct adjustments what would you think my time could be after tuning just the shifts?

This is based on how my car already is and if i was to do just the shift tweek.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Default RE: CHANGING SHIFT POINTS?

Are you talking about shortening shifts, or raising the shift points?

Either way, I don't see you running any measurable amount faster in the 1/4, you still have the same power and the same weight. It may knock off a couple hundreths, but I really doubt you'd even get .1 out of it.

If you're planning on getting a pcm tuner- you'll likely see more gain from better fueling, less TM, and increased timing than you are from quicker shifts. Just don't waste your money on one of those hypertech type tuners, I'd go straight for a PT/HPT.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 PM

get a hold of pheonix. he knows those cars REAL WELL.

Also depending on the programmer you bough the can prolly give you a decent set up that he has already proven .

Just a thought.

But on mine it changed it some but really not near as much as the thrasher kit in the tranny

Old 05-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Power tuner is no longer for sale. only option left now is the HPT. as for time gained.... it all depends on how you tune the shift points and how much you really care about the car... if you want the trany to last i wouldnt raise the shifts too much higher then stock unless you do mod's to the trany. if you dont care and only hope to get a few runs out of it lol then by all means set the shift points much higher and you could see over .1 to .2ths gain in 1/4 mile but kiss the trany good by

yeah but between tweaking fueling, spark timing, shift pressure/time/shift points, and TM (torque managment) i can see atleast a .1 gain if you know what your doing and possibly .2with some good tuning. but the gain will be also in mpg and reliablility of the car.

your best way to get a better 1/4 time is practice your launch of the car and get good tires. Driver, tires, prep of the car are some of the most important things to do for a good 1/4 time. no need to add more HP if you cant get yoru existing power to the ground!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 PM

Power tuner is no longer for sale. only option left now is the HPT
Not true- there are used ones that pop up on clubgp/3800pro and other various wbody forums for sale at least once a month. If he really wanted to go that route- its still a possibility.

your best way to get a better 1/4 time is practice your launch of the car and get good tires. Driver, tires, prep of the car are some of the most important things to do for a good 1/4 time. no need to add more HP if you cant get yoru existing power to the ground!
I definitely agree with practicing the launch, but I imagine wheelspin isn't much of an issue at all with a 16 second car

Old 05-23-2008, 07:24 PM

getting power to the ground effectively isnt all about wheel spin... some people are just afraid to step on the car. and dont know how to lean into it as quickly as they should at the track. but yeah would really have to try hard to spin them... same goes for getting a killer 60 foot... have to work hard

Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: z34phoenix

getting power to the ground effectively isnt all about wheel spin... some people are just afraid to step on the car. and dont know how to lean into it as quickly as they should at the track. but yeah would really have to try hard to spin them... same goes for getting a killer 60 foot... have to work hard
Thats what I was trying to get at- I can understand having him go out and practice launching at a test and tune night or something, but even stock tires should be fine for launching- especially if the track is even decently prepped. New tires wouldn't hurt, but I don't think its much of a necessity at that point.

I remember back when I first went to the track in my 3100 monte- it would dead hook from a stop, and only chirp them a small bitfrom a 1500 rpm powerbrake- and the thing ran pretty much the exact same 60' and 1/4et/mph the whole night.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

HOPEFULLY SOME MORE PRACTICE WOULD HELP, I FLOORED MY PEDAL ON GREEN AND I JUST COULDN'T BREAK THE 16.1 TIMES I WAS RUNNING CLOSE TIMES ALL 4 TRYS. We will see if there is a difference when it cools down in the fall to see how the cold air intake truley works too. Thanks for the tips, I am not gonna change too much to hurt my car, i thought it be quicker though.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:33 AM

ORIGINAL: mavrickf1613

HOPEFULLY SOME MORE PRACTICE WOULD HELP, I FLOORED MY PEDAL ON GREEN AND I JUST COULDN'T BREAK THE 16.1 TIMES I WAS RUNNING CLOSE TIMES ALL 4 TRYS.
If you're flooring it on green, you're too late. You need to floor it on the last yellow to get the best RT (that is if you care at all about beating the guy in the other lane, if you're just shooting for an MPH or ET goal- RT doesn't matter then).

Also, is it spinning the tires at all on the launch? If not, you can get a little more out of it by 'preloading' it. Basically, put one foot on the brake, one on the gas- and when the lights start coming down, give it some gas (try 1000 rpm, then 1500, etc)- when you see the last yellow, you let off the brake and floor the gas- this puts you a little higher in the powerband off the line. You just need to keep trying and see what yields the lowest 60' time on your printout.

You want to leave as hard as you can with minimal wheelspin. Although if you did 4 runs, all at 16.1- then I bet you'repretty muchmaxed out on your setup, and its time to do some actual power mods or weight reduction mods to see a significant drop.