Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Changing the Belt Path

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by WolvenScout
I'm also going to have the engine rebuilt with new bearings, rods and pistons to bring the compression down, and a cam.
Why would you want to bring compression down?

There are a couple issues with low compression, the biggest issue is that it makes the engine a complete dog out of boost. These engines dont make squat for power as it is NA, dropping compression and sticking in an aftermarket cam will make that even worse driving around. It's one thing
in a drag only car with a loose converter and a brake, but it sure sucks on the street.

Just leave the bottom end how it is and run e85 or just hit it with meth.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Why would you want to bring compression down?

There are a couple issues with low compression, the biggest issue is that it makes the engine a complete dog out of boost. These engines dont make squat for power as it is NA, dropping compression and sticking in an aftermarket cam will make that even worse driving around. It's one thing
in a drag only car with a loose converter and a brake, but it sure sucks on the street.

Just leave the bottom end how it is and run e85 or just hit it with meth.
Doesn't lowering the compression make it safer to run higher boost? I plan on driving the car often, and the thing with E85 is, it's not too common in my area. With meth, is there an easy way to run it only when higher power is needed, and not run it while just driving down the street?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 PM

Doesn't lowering the compression make it safer to run higher boost?
Sure, but we're not talking about 60 psi worth of turbos or a 13:1 bottom end. The L36 is 9.4:1 which in the grand scheme is already pretty low. Certainly not worth spending a bunch of money just to make it even lower and make the car even worse to drive. I think it's especially true in a case like yours, since you've already got a L36. It costs literally nothing to try it as is.

I plan on driving the car often, and the thing with E85 is, it's not too common in my area. With meth, is there an easy way to run it only when higher power is needed, and not run it while just driving down the street?
That's the beauty of a meth injection kit. It only injects when the boost exceeds the Hobbs switch limit. So 99% of the time on the street, it wont run at all. Get into boost, and you've suddenly got extra octane. I run a kit on my vette and love.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-05-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

That's the beauty of a meth injection kit. It only injects when the boost exceeds the Hobbs switch limit. So 99% of the time on the street, it wont run at all. Get into boost, and you've suddenly got extra octane. I run a kit on my vette and love.
Would the AEM meth kit zzp sells be a good option?

Old 01-05-2019, 06:44 PM

Would the AEM meth kit zzp sells be a good option?
Sounds good on paper, but I've never personally run one so I can't comment specifically.

The kit I run on my vette is an Alkycontrol, but that's just because theyve got a lot of support for that community.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:17 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sounds good on paper, but I've never personally run one so I can't comment specifically.

The kit I run on my vette is an Alkycontrol, but that's just because theyve got a lot of support for that community.
Alright. Thanks for the help as always.