Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I kept the original lifters in my Monte when the cam was swapped out. That was nearly 100k miles ago and I've had no issues. But I do agree that the proper way is to replace the lifters.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 PM

Not only that, but I can't think of a single cam manufacturer that will warranty their cam if you put used lifters back in the engine. I'm glad to hear that you and a few others have successfully used old lifters in the 3800, but I'd hate to be the one to tell someone it's okay to do then have them post a week later that they flattened the lobes of their new cam on initial fire up/break in. I'm not that much of a gambling man.
I don't really see how it is a gamble though- I've never seen a 3800 flatten the lobes on a new cam. I actually don't think I've heard of any 3800 cam lobes flattening for any reason. Anybody ever actually seen this happen?

Interesting too that the largest 3800 vendor doesn't include lifters with their 'cam install kit', even with the most complete/expensive kit. The only thing they recommend on top of the kit is a new timing chain for cars over 75k. I can see replacing lifters if they're very high mileage, or at least disassembling and cleaning them if you want to make sure- but I just don't see the point in adding cost for something that's not a failure point. Just like people building 'fully built' 3800 bottom ends because they're used to working on 350 chevys and such. I don't see a reason to throw money at a problem that doesn't exist.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As I previously said I'm glad that some have used their old lifters on a new cam and not experienced any problems, but if it were my engine I would install new lifters. In over 30 years and literally hundreds of engine builds I have never installed a new cam without also installing new lifters - and they weren't all SBC. To me it is worth the extra $150 or so, but to others it may not be. It doesn't mean that either is the 'correct' way to do it. It simply means that we have a choice. As long as we are personally happy with the choices we make that's all that really matters. BTW, doesn't CompCam grind the majority of cams that are sold at ZZP, 3800 Performance, etc? If anyone ever does have a problem with one of their cams and didn't install new lifters all I got to say is good luck getting it replaced under warranty.

From CompCam web site:

Limited Warranty
COMP Cams® warrants that all of the products are free from defects in material and workmanship, and against excessive wear for a period of twelve months from date of purchase. This limtied warranty shall apply for a period of one year from the date of purchase and shall cover only the original purchaser. This warranty is valid on camshafts only where new lifters and proper valve springs are used, such as those found in COMP Cams® Kits.