Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM

So by pulling the engine i dnt have to rip the whole motor apart to install? I looked up a vid on YouTube but its not detailed enough for me to go on ahead n do it myself. About how much time is it to do a cam? I have enough money to buy everything i need just debating on either s1x cam or xp cam

Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

And you have to remove the lower intake manifold.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
op isnt your current motor a replacement from a buick? i could be thinking of another user. if it is im sure you wish you would have done that cam before the swap.
Yes and def. Yes... but the engine replacement was a dire need, now the cam will be for fun

Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Get this cam, double roller timing chain, and some ls6 valve springs and call it good. Honestly no 3800 cams available for stock heads are going to be big enough to need lifters/ pushrods/ etc.

I have to disagree with this statement, but it's not because of the lift/duration specs of the cam. It has to do with wear pattern. If you replace the cam you should ALWAYS replace the lifters. Using old lifters (with a wear pattern for the old cam already established) on a new cam is a needless gamble that 9 times out of 10 will destroy your new cam. If you're going to go through all the time and expense of putting a cam in your engine do it right the first time and replace the lifters.

I've done numerous cam replacements in cars by removing the radiators and grille. Some required removing the engine mount bolts and jacking up the engine a couple inches for clearance purposes, but it got me to wondering...is it possible to do an in car cam replacement on a Monte w/transverse mounted engine if you remove the right front wheel and inner fenderwell? Hmmm...

Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You don't HAVE to pull the engine, you could lower the subframe and do it that way I believe. I'd rather pull the engine and have all the room I need though.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:06 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE

I have to disagree with this statement, but it's not because of the lift/duration specs of the cam. It has to do with wear pattern. If you replace the cam you should ALWAYS replace the lifters. Using old lifters (with a wear pattern for the old cam already established) on a new cam is a needless gamble that 9 times out of 10 will destroy your new cam. If you're going to go through all the time and expense of putting a cam in your engine do it right the first time and replace the lifters.

I've done numerous cam replacements in cars by removing the radiators and grille. Some required removing the engine mount bolts and jacking up the engine a couple inches for clearance purposes, but it got me to wondering...is it possible to do an in car cam replacement on a Monte w/transverse mounted engine if you remove the right front wheel and inner fenderwell? Hmmm...
Let me go ahead and say I messed up on the lifters part. I've been stuck looking at lsx cams so long that I'm used to everything being roller. That part I always look past on a non roller cam. Pushrods aren't needed, they aren't a terrible idea of course, but you can normally get by without them or new rockers.

And yes, you can do the swap by dropping down the subframe a bit on the passenger side.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 PM

If you replace the cam you should ALWAYS replace the lifters. Using old lifters (with a wear pattern for the old cam already established) on a new cam is a needless gamble that 9 times out of 10 will destroy your new cam.
IMO, this is incorrect, at least on 3800s. I would imagine less than 9/10 3800 people doing a cam actually replace the lifters, and you almost never hear of people destroying their cam. I ran stock lifters with ~75k on them when I put in my IS3 cam, and after just pulling them out a couple weeks back (while tearing down the top end of the engine)- the cam and lifters look fine. If you've got high mileage on them, I could see replacing them just due to age and wear; but if you've got normal if you've got moderate to lower mileage on the car, I'd just rock the stock ones.

Now I could see on solid lifters like in an older engine- then yeah, for sure. But on roller lifters like the 3800s and LSxs use, it isn't a big deal.

I've been stuck looking at lsx cams so long that I'm used to everything being roller.
3800s are roller lifter. Actually if you go to GM to buy replacement lifters for your 3800 right now, they would give you what is marketed as an "LS7 lifter"- it's pretty much the same.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-29-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

3800s are roller lifter. Actually if you go to GM to buy replacement lifters for your 3800 right now, they would give you what is marketed as an "LS7 lifter"- it's pretty much the same.
I had a feeling... but I've never had mine out

Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
IMO, this is incorrect, at least on 3800s. I would imagine less than 9/10 3800 people doing a cam actually replace the lifters, and you almost never hear of people destroying their cam. I ran stock lifters with ~75k on them when I put in my IS3 cam, and after just pulling them out a couple weeks back (while tearing down the top end of the engine)- the cam and lifters look fine. If you've got high mileage on them, I could see replacing them just due to age and wear; but if you've got normal if you've got moderate to lower mileage on the car, I'd just rock the stock ones.

Now I could see on solid lifters like in an older engine- then yeah, for sure. But on roller lifters like the 3800s and LSxs use, it isn't a big deal.
I agree that roller lifters won't wear as much as an older style solid or hydraulic lifter, but the cam lobe will still wear a pattern into them. Perhaps the 3800 isn't so bad, but I would never recommend using old lifters on a new cam - roller or not - to anyone, but that's just me. If I tried to cut corners on cost by reusing old lifters on any of the engine builds I've done I would have had my butt handed to me and shown the door. Not only that, but I can't think of a single cam manufacturer that will warranty their cam if you put used lifters back in the engine. I'm glad to hear that you and a few others have successfully used old lifters in the 3800, but I'd hate to be the one to tell someone it's okay to do then have them post a week later that they flattened the lobes of their new cam on initial fire up/break in. I'm not that much of a gambling man.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM

in numerous car magazines including my personal favorite car craft used lifters are common place. they are known for telling readers to pull roller cam lifters from the junkyard(i refer to there small block chevy lifter articles). now i wouldnt personally recommend buying used lifters, but i dont see the harm in using your own used roller lifters assuming theyre in good condition on a new cam. personally when ive bought cams ive always bought lifters, but those were all flat tappet because the roller retro fits were a billion dollars.

Quick Reply: cam?