6th Gen ('00-'05): Buying a transmission for l67 - Page 2 - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 09-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Do you want a cheap used trans, or a good trans? If you are willing to spend the money, I would contact Dave at TripleEdgePerformance and let him know your build and he will build you a trans.

If you want a used trans, everyone else is giving great information already in this thread
that sounds way out of my price range I think I'll get a used one with good mileage
Old 09-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can always add an HD differential to a non-HD transmission IIRC. It's all about what gearing you want. A non-SC transmission might have been abused a bit less, but you never know. TEP is the best though, however they are a good 2500 bucks...
Old 09-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJustGotSarged5 View Post
My future plans are 300hp still would the HD still be a good idea?
300 whp or 300 bhp?

Unfortunately the "HD" part doesn't mean much. It's just a diff/diff cover/passenger axle. Unless people are abusing the diff (giant one wheel burnouts), you don't really see a lot of diff failures. You can always upgrade it later if you really wanted.

If you're talking 300 whp, you're probably not going to last long on a junkyard trans anyways.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-13-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJustGotSarged5 View Post
that sounds way out of my price range I think I'll get a used one with good mileage
The hard part is, even with 'good mileage' it could still fail. Plenty of these transmissions start having issues at really low mileage (50k+). You also have no idea the history of it, so definitely be prepared to go through a couple trying to find a good one.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
300 whp or 300 bhp?

Unfortunately the "HD" part doesn't mean much. It's just a diff/diff cover/passenger axle. Unless people are abusing the diff (giant one wheel burnouts), you don't really see a lot of diff failures. You can always upgrade it later if you really wanted.

If you're talking 300 whp, you're probably not going to last long on a junkyard trans anyways.
300 at the crank