Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Back to the shop it goes.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Default Back to the shop it goes.

On Monday I am taking my 2005 Monte Carlo LT 3.8L back to the Transmission Shop. Before the appointment I am curious if anyone thinks the issue I am having has some other source.

Background, our Monte has 64,000 miles on it an is maybe driven 10,000-12,000 miles per year. At the end of September 2012 I had those dreaded transmission problems. Yes, at 63,000 miles I had to have my entire transmission rebuilt. I took it to a highly reputable shop, basically the only shop within 50 miles I trusted to do the work. Came back and the car was great. Plus I got an 18 month/18,000 mile warranty out of the deal. Then once the weather turned I had a coolant leak on the passenger side and got to replace those awesome plastic elbows. So, I thought awesome. Finally, it's running right with no leaks.

Wrong, now I have what appears to be a transmission fluid leak. Granted the transmission is completely under warranty for parts and labor, but given my luck with this thing for the past six-months I fear the worst. So I am basically looking for reassurance that my instincts are correct.

The current issue I am having is, like I mentioned, what appears to be a transmission fluid leak. I got under the car and there doesn't appear to be any leaks higher up on the transmission and it looks like it is seeping from the gasket at the pan. The fluid that is dripping has like a thin oil consistency and no odor. After the vehicle sits for hours I get maybe a drop or three. Nothing crazy. I have also notice that it is dependent on what angle the vehicle is parked. Flat, a drop or nothing. Nose down, nothing. Nose up, 3-ish drops and it stops there. So it makes me think there is a failure in the gasket on the back end of the transmission pan. Does that sound about right? Or is there something I am missing.

Regardless, it's all under warranty, but going in I don't want to expect to pay nothing and it end up being something else that others have experienced that I over looked.

Thanks for any reassurance and thanks for reading my rant/saga.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce your self in the new member section. You will find a very kind and knowledgeable group here.

My 06 tranny took a dump at 107k miles. Fortunately I had the GMPP and got a brand new tranny.

Hopefully someone could give you some feed back on your 05. I do think our trannies are the same though.

Dave