Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

95 monte carlo with tran problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Default 95 monte carlo with tran problems

I have a 95 Monte. Well once in a great while it will shift fine but most of the time when driving it doesn't want to shift. So I have to rev it up and manually shift it at a certain rpm and sometimes that doesn't even work. Other times it won't shift at all, it seems to get stuck in neutral. Once its gets in gear it drives fine until you come to a stop, then its does it all over again. Any ideas on what the problem is? Im pregnant and dont have alot of money to fix it, so hopefully its an easy fix but I doubt it! Thanks for any help

Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 AM

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.

Sorry to read that you are having a problem with your Monte Carlo

How many miles on your Monte, and what engine do you have ?

Have your ever changed your transmission fluid & filter ?
If not, I suggest that is the first thing I would `do.

Do you know a trusted mechanic or a friend that is mechanically inclined to check out your Monte ?

Please post as much information about your trans problem as you can & check back on your thread question to see if any of our member's can help...Good Luck from `Space

Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM

Its a 3.1L 170xxx miles. I've asked around my mechanic friends and nobody has heard of this problem.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 PM

DO NOT CHANGE THE FLUID!!!

chances are the clutch packs are warn out and it is slipping when shifting. if you have the fluid flushed all the friction material that came off the clutch packs and is suspended in the fluid will be washed away. without it the car wont shift at all. your trany is the 4t60e a rebuild of the trany is about $1300-2100 I feel your cheapest/best option is to find a used trany on ebay or local junk yard and have a local shop swap it out. before replacing it you can swing by a GM dealer and have them scan the car for engine codes. being a 95 your local autozone will not be able to scan it.

PS: in the mean time try the following:
1) check fluid level once engine is warmed up
2) what does the fluid smell and look like? it should not smell burnt and should be bright red.
3) if the fluid is low add more fluid. the new standard is Dex VI also lucas makes a trany slip additive and it works wonders. i have used it in the past. but this is not a permanent fix....

Last edited by z34phoenix; 05-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.