Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

'85 SS - the mystery shifter

Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Default '85 SS - the mystery shifter

Just bought an 85 SS with "no reverse". Guy said he put a new tranny in and he got ripped of because reverse doesnt work. Personally I think it's just hooked up wrong. Here, let me make you a list of reasoning.

1. The car has a floor is a console shifting car... but they connected the cable to the column so now you shift via column.. but there's a catch. The column still looks nomal.. no lever? You just have to twist the neck of it. Odd!
2. Cruise control doesn't work. To my understanding a lot of the shifting with these transmissions run off of vacuum lines.
3. With the concern of vacuum noted, you have to get up to / past 3,000 for the next gear. But downshifts perfectly.
4. Fluid looks good
5. When I try reverse I get nothing - like its not going into gear.

Sure there's more I can't think of. Anyone know where there is an online diagram of the linkage? I really think this thing is just hooked up wrong. OD isnt catching either.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM

If it is a floor shifter I would suspect the column rod has fallen off or came out of adjustment. Also check your vacuum lines for leaks...Spray some soapy or plain water on lines when engine is running & look for bubbles...(There's a leak `if U see them)
or
If it'd the shift cable & it is out of adjustment, you should be able to check your shift linkage when your car is up on jacks & you have someone looking to see `if the trans linkage is moving it into every gear ?

I'm not an expert & I hope one of our 4th gen member's or member's with knowledge on a 4th gen automatic can help you...Good Luck

Last edited by Space; 09-18-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM

You could always put it up on stands and take the linkage off of the trans.

Then use the lever to manually put it in gear and see if it has reverse or not, then go through and figure out from there if its the cable, or something in the column came apart

Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by itsnicyo
Just bought an 85 SS with "no reverse". Guy said he put a new tranny in and he got ripped of because reverse doesnt work. Personally I think it's just hooked up wrong. Here, let me make you a list of reasoning.

1. The car has a floor is a console shifting car... but they connected the cable to the column so now you shift via column.. but there's a catch. The column still looks nomal.. no lever? You just have to twist the neck of it. Odd!
2. Cruise control doesn't work. To my understanding a lot of the shifting with these transmissions run off of vacuum lines.
3. With the concern of vacuum noted, you have to get up to / past 3,000 for the next gear. But downshifts perfectly.
4. Fluid looks good
5. When I try reverse I get nothing - like its not going into gear.

Sure there's more I can't think of. Anyone know where there is an online diagram of the linkage? I really think this thing is just hooked up wrong. OD isnt catching either.
Have you considered going to the trans shop he got it repaired at and ask them what they did to convert it to column shift?
I'm wondering why would they do that?.... Anti-Theft deterrant?

Or I would convert it back to the original floor shifter! (makes sense)

I'm guessing the kickdown is also not connected properly... if itsvacuum controlled... Then theres definitely a vacuum leak/not connected properly... You could go to your local dealer and ask them for a diagram for the proper way to connect the linkage/vacuum lines etc..