Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3400 engine / trans issue...slipping sometimes.... "Clicking when turning the wheel"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 3400 engine / trans issue...slipping sometimes.... "Clicking when turning the wheel"

Hey guys, got an 04 3400 Impala, (Montes Baby brother) and at times, the trans seams to "slip" for a second or two from a dead stop, then shifts perfect for weeks, then all the sudden, again, maybe 2-3 times in a day, then NOTHING for weeks... Baffling to say the least...

Next issue, same car... I hear a click click click when I am making a hard turn at lower speeds..not sure if it happens when I am going over 25 mph, just never heard it when going faster.. Any ideas? Checked to tie rods ends, cv joints are looking great (not sure about the cv joint itself, can't see it and the boots are perfect. Please help a brother out.. Thanks again to all of you... Mjc....

Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check the wheel hub assemblies.

If it happens turning hard left, check the right. Reverse if needed

Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

The transmission issue could be the shift solenoid. It is a common problem on gm vehicles of those years. A clicking sound when turning is usually a cv joint. They can go bad without the boot being torn.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM

did you try pulling codes from the computer? I know from experience with mine, it may throw a code without activating the engine light. Also clicking noise would be CV joints, most likely the outter if it only clicks on turns.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by MontErie2012
did you try pulling codes from the computer? I know from experience with mine, it may throw a code without activating the engine light. Also clicking noise would be CV joints, most likely the outter if it only clicks on turns.
Correct, ONLY on turns when moving slow, not at high speeds, just when you are making a hard turn, I'm not sure if it is both sides, ill check. Thanks for the reply...mjc...

Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
The transmission issue could be the shift solenoid. It is a common problem on gm vehicles of those years. A clicking sound when turning is usually a cv joint. They can go bad without the boot being torn.
Thanks, is there a way to check the solenoid without replacing? Also, such an intermittent issue, how would I go about testing it? Thanks for the reply... Mjc...

Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Check the wheel hub assemblies.

If it happens turning hard left, check the right. Reverse if needed
These could be checked by jacking up the car, and try moving the tires up n down (watching to make sure it's not a ball joint, or tie rod) correct? Thanks.. Will there be "slop" in it ? Thanks for the replay.. Mjc..

Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The tire shouldn't have play in it going up and down/left and right. The lugs should hold it still enough to prevent that. So if you have that play, it's most likely the bearing.

It will feel like wobbling something that isn't flat on a table.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
The tire shouldn't have play in it going up and down/left and right. The lugs should hold it still enough to prevent that. So if you have that play, it's most likely the bearing.

It will feel like wobbling something that isn't flat on a table.

Hello, thanks for the reply, jacked her up, tugged on the wheel every way possible, nice n tight. No wobble, no slop, feels like a wheel should as far as movement, HOWEVER, I think I may have found the issue.. Ill post a picture of what I found.. My buddy says its a "shim" I say it's not.. I think the front sway bar / stabilizer is cracked .... Just looks to like it to me, my buddy said its a shim for adjusting it.. I never seen one like this.. (Again, I'll post pics when I get on my computer, I am using an IPad right now). If I am right, how big of a job is that? Also, should all the rubber mounts and bushings be replaced as a maintenance issue after 130,000 miles.. Just want to get the car nice n tight .. Thanks...