Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Loud rhythmic "clicking" left front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:19 PM
Default Loud rhythmic "clicking" left front wheel

2004 Monte Carlo LS - Silver, 53,000 miles

Sound follows the revolution of the wheel, slower when I go slow, faster when I go faster. Sound remains whether brakes applied or not.

If I am going straight ahead and I turn the wheel a little to the right, it goes away sometimes. Sound like metal hitting metal. It is not a "grinding" sound, more of a "click, click, click" - but now it is pretty loud. Has gotten louder over the past two days.

Any ideas?

Any help on this greatly appreciated. I inherited this car from the original owner. The only other problem I've had is the ignition stuck in the on position last year. Had to get ignition cylinder replaced. Oh, and I also have the water-in-the-door problem.

Thanks a lot,
Donna A

Old 06-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello, that sucks, but it happens to all of us. What I believe your hearing is your CV Axle failing. Kind of a common thing, bite the bullet and get it done. Shop around for a few bids, even over the phone. Look for remanufactured OEM parts if your money is not so tight as some import replacement parts tend to have a significantly shorter than average life span to them.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with Zippy. That clicking is a "Telltale sign". The only doubt I would have would be the low mileage. Kinda' premature, but if the dust boot is torn they wear out fast.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Thank you both for your replies!

Is there anything else this could be? I have now googled "cv axle replacement" and have read articles and even watched a couple of youtube videos about replacing the CV axle, what they look like when cover is split, etc.

I have also gone onto some of the "car repair cost sites" to find out what this type of repair costs. A very wide range of $300 - $800 was listed.

I called a local Chevy dealer and they will not give out prices over the phone, want me to bring vehicle in and charge a $50 fee to "tell me what the problem is". The $50 is not then applicable to any repair charges. It is strictly a "Diagnostic fee".

Next a talked to what sounded like an older gentleman at the local Monro Service Center. Yes, they do these type of repairs. He said between $200 -$300, depending on cost of part for my model car. He also asked me questions about the "clicking" sound. Asked if it does it when I turn. I said it does it all the time. He said "it might not be the CV axle, they usually don't make the noise when the car is going straight. It might be something else. You need to bring the car in and we will look at it." They cannot book me until Wednesday, so I went ahead at set that up.

I did also read about the signs and sounds of a bad wheel bearing. I don't think that is what this is. This is definitely a "click-click-click".

Any input on this?

Old 06-27-2015, 01:06 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add this:

I went on some auto parts sites and looked up the cost for the cv axle replacement part.
Advanced Auto had one that had customer reviews with it. When I read through the reviews there were several who posted that they put the new part in and just months and in one case only weeks later, the replacement part failed. So I take it this is what is meant by cheap, foreign replacement parts.

Where does one go to obtain Original Manufacturer parts or at least higher quality replacement parts?

Thanks a lot for any info.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

rockauto.com is usually the best place for parts, gmpartsdirect.com is a good place for visual descriptions.....

Old 06-27-2015, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member

Your mechanic is right about the C/V joint usually being noisy only when turning. Sorry I overlooked that in your post. Wheel hubs (bearings) are a possibility. No insult intended, but are you sure you don't have a rock or screw stuck in the tire? or a foreign object in the wheel, hub or brakes? This would be a cheap fix, LOL. Whatever you do, don't let the dealer take you for a ride. The mechanics are usually the best, but dealer charges are the worst. They're the whole reason I became educated about Montes and now do everything myself. I speak as the owner of 3 gen. 6 SS's. '00 purchased new, the '01 and '03 are project cars.

Last edited by plumbob; 06-27-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:49 AM

plum bob: Thanks for the advice. No, I am not going to take it to the Chevy dealership. I don't want to deal with a place that is going to charge $50 just for telling me what is wrong. If they then applied the $50 towards the cost of the repair if you go ahead and have them do it, that would be different. But the service guy said that no, that is just a straight out charge, no credit towards the cost of the work.

Oh, I so wish this was just a rock in there, but I am like 99% sure it is not. When I go straight down the road and it is making the noise, if I turn the wheel just a little to the right it will stop. But as soon as I straighten back out, it starts again. Plus, the noise has progressively gotten louder.

It is great that you can do your own work on your Monte! I am an older (lol, hate that word!) female. I could help you with your computer - and often help friends over the phone with computer problems - but I can't work on cars. So am at the mercy others.

An independent mechanic I used for almost 25 years for all my vehicles over those years got really sick and closed his shop. He was honest and skilled and did not charge an arm and a leg. I have been unable to find anyone reliable to replace him.

Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member

Donna. I'm no "Spring Chicken" myself Lol, but enjoy the work in some weird way, and it gives a feeling of accomplishment when I'm done. I also like helping others. I have no idea where you're located to suggest a mechanic. Wish I would be there to hear it for myself, as I can only speculate from your description. There's a whole bunch of rotating parts in the front of a car. Hopefully the mechanic you've scheduled with will give you an honest and accurate diagnosis. Keep us posted.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Took my 2004 Monte Carlo with 53,000 miles to a local Monro Auto Center today. The reason I chose to make an appointment with them is that the guy I spoke to on the phone was friendly, helpful, and asked a lot of questions. In addition, he was forthright about quoting "standard pricing" for replacement of a CV axle. (around $350.00 including parts).

Today I had the most wonderful experience! It turned out that it was NOT some big problem and they fixed it for NO CHARGE at all! It is so, so nice to encounter honest people!

Here is what they told me was making the noise, explained as best I can: Inside the wheel, between the brake and the rotor is a metal disc - sort of like a metal pie pan - that somehow acts as a "splash guard". This thing got bent and was scraping against the rotor. The mechanic bent it back using a screw driver and now the noise is gone!

They could have told me I needed a new CV axle. They could have told me I needed a new wheel bearing. Or a new rotor and new brakes. Or all of the above.

Instead, they were honest and told me it was just a simple problem. And charged me nothing. Wow!

They did tell me that I am likely going to need new brake pads and new rotors when it comes time for inspection in December of this year. They quoted me a price of $392.00 for everything including parts. Does that sound fair?

P.S. I live in the northeastern suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Family is native to Western Pennsylvania - I've traced them back to the Revolution here. I have a relative who lives in Bellevue, WA and I've been out to visit several times. Took side trips to the Olympic Peninsula - up to Hurricane Ridge and then to a Pacific beach town. Also to Snoqualamine (sp?) Falls and another time to Paradise Lodge on Mt. Ranier. Beautiful, beautiful area of our wonderful country!

Last edited by DonnaAnd; 07-05-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Loud rhythmic "clicking" left front wheel