Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3.8 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 PM

my car now has a 3.1 in my 96 , but i was considering swaping it out for a 3.8 out of an 02 impala, good idea?, bad idea?........ if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated
Sounds like a great idea- grab the transmission and PCM from the same car, and it should be totally plug and play using a 3800 5th gen monte/lumina harness and axles.

will the trans in my car work for time being?
I really don't think so- the first thing that comes to mind would be your shift points and shift tables- I believe the 4t60 and the 4t65 (what that 02 impala has) would be different. If you got the trans from that car, you could just use it's pcm and be done with it.

and what would u recomend superchargin it?, or turbo?
Do some research on here first- this has been covered many times. Basically, what it boils down to is supercharging is far cheaper (under $1k)- but isn't as good if you're going for big power; the turbo is more costly ($3k+), but will work better if you want big power. Search for "top swap" for more information on supercharging.

just drop in the L67 and the HD tranny.
This is a good point- if you're planning on doing a top swap anyways (using the impala's L36 bottom end, and putting an entire L67 top end on it)- you may as well just buy an L67 and 4t65hd and drop it all in at once- that'll save a good deal of work, and may be just as cost effective as doing an L36 swap + L67 top swap.

k can anyone point me in the right direction of a supercharger?
I'm assuming you're talking about the factory supercharger that came on 3800's. If thats the case, you have two options- A) buy it all together as a "kit" from a vendor, know you have all the parts and that they are all ok, but pay a much higher price or B ) go on the various forums and buy the pieces yourself.

Some of the vendors that sell a top swap kit that I can think of are:

milzymotorsports
wbodystore

a forum to get the parts yourself:

clubgp (right now there are 3 separate "top swap" threads in the classifieds/for sale section).

i got the motor already out of an 02 impala, i was told the trans i have now would work without any mods if i jus do the 3.8 swap.
Can you still return it if you find a good deal on a compelte L67 since you're planning to S/C it anyways?

As far as the trans, I don't think I've ever heard of anybody use the 4t60e with a 3800 swap. All of the 3800 5th gen montes came with the 4t65e, and all of the supercharged 3800s came with the 4t65e-HD. As I said above, the main thing I'd be concerned about is the pcm programming.

then would it be best to find the proper transmission when i do the supercharger?
I really think rather than swapping it bit by bit, your best bet would be to get the transmission to match your 3800 and swap it like that; or if you're really serious about supercharging it- get an L67 and 4t65e-HD and swap them in. The price difference shouldn't be that much.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You need the Impala's transmission. And I contradict bumpin96monte here, I'd rather have an L36 bottom end and an L67 top end. It will take more mods to max out the supercharger due to the higher compression. Unless you want to put some built heads on an L67 to raise your compression, but they're pricey.