Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2002 AC compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Default 2002 AC compressor replacement

How do you replace an AC compressor on a 2002 Monte Carlo SS 3.8? From above or below? Any helpful hints? Please help I am asking for my elderly father!!!

Last edited by 2002DaleErSS; 11-10-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 PM

**NOTE** it is warned by every book and source that I came across to drain and unpressurize the system first, preferably have a professional do the whole thing, as it is a pressurized system and can be harmful if done improperly. Mine was broken for a long time and the coolant was long gone, so this was not an issue for me. I removed the entire system, condenser and all.

To take mine out it was a big ordeal. I dont know if I was going about it the wrong way but what I had to do was remove the radiator fan (air intake as well to get to it), then remove all the AC components from the compressor, then remove the nuts from the three compressor studs and remove the compressor sideways and bring it upward through the engine compartment. To get to one of the nuts, I had to remove the passenger tire and one of the water shields, then I was unable to unscrew the bottom nut. Its handy to know that its held on by NUTS on STUDS and not try to wrench out bolts. Attached are some photos of the removal - note that i replaced with with an AC delete pulley. And no you cannot pull the whole thing downward, due to the frame and radiator you cannot do it this way.

FIRST AND MOST CRITICAL STEP.... get a few beers...

Removal of water guard and radiator fans

What the Engine compartment looks like after. Notice the extra space between the radiator and the engine.

Going behind the wheel to access the nuts.. The compressor is to the right of the crank pulley which is to the right of the oil filter.

The compressor

The delete pulley installed. Notice the three studs and the way in which it goes on. You only need to remove the nuts and the AC components from behind to remove the compressor.

Last edited by Absolutpolack; 11-12-2010 at 10:35 AM.