Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Gas problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your mechanic probably did a running diagnostic on your engine. That would tell him if a plug or 2 was miss firing. He would have had to remove the plug to tell if it was fouled or not. As for your Cat., if it is clogged it should effect the exhaust coming g from Both mufflers not just one. I think when your friend drilled your Cat., he loosened a clog in that muffler. There was a thread here where a squirrel made a nest in one members muffler. Clogging it up the first time he started the car in the spring.
I would say, change your plugs and check your wires first. It doesn't make sense to me that a bad Cat. would only effect one muffler or one plug.

Last edited by JC Colon; 09-28-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zen
I'd change those plugs. The cat is pretty well done if you drilled holes in it. I'm sure a few of the 6th gen guys will let you know where to get a good one. Some people gut there cats.
Changing plugs today..also having the cat removed and a straight pipe welded on.Thanks for all your help

Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Your mechanic probably did a running diagnostic on your engine. That would tell him if a plug or 2 was miss firing. He would have had to remove the plug to tell if it was fouled or not. As for your Cat., if it is clogged it should effect the exhaust coming g from Both mufflers not just one. I think when your friend drilled your Cat., he loosened a clog in that muffler. There was a thread here where a squirrel made a nest in one members muffler. Clogging it up the first time he started the car in the spring.
I would say, change your plugs and check your wires first. It doesn't make sense to me that a bad Cat. would only effect one muffler or one plug.
Changing plugs today..also having the cat removed and a straight pipe welded on.Thanks for all your help

Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyGirl2013
Won't removing the cat cause the engine light to come on? I would think the after cat oxygen sensor will notice the exhaust isn't as clean as it should be, and then the computer is going to turn on the engine light.