Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

06 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 AM

Well Mike, it just so happens I have a stock 3.8L Monte Carlo, and one night I pulled up to a stoplight and sitting next to me was a 3.5L Impala. He wanted to go, so I obliged, when the light turned green we both stomped on it, both of our cars squealed and lurched forward. I'm not sure if he was slow on reaction time or what, but I seemed to have gotten the jump on him, and I stayed about 5-10 feet ahead of him all the way to 90MPH when we finally let up, since it was a 35MPH zone. I've gotta say, you're right about the engine revving higher, I had the windows down too and I could hear that engine straining all the way up to close to 6,000RPM, kinda loud for a V6 when it's at WOT in stock form. I know the 2007 Impala (which is what I think he had) outweighs my car by about 200-300 lbs, but I had a passenger with me that night too, so the weights were about equal. So from my personal experience, stock vs stock, the 3.8 and 3.5 are pretty evenly matched, although the torque, weight difference, and gearing gives the 3.8 a slight edge I believe. Just thought you'd like to know. xD

Last edited by Frosty LS1; 10-01-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 AM

I'm no mechanical expert, but I've seen the engine bay for the 3.5 Monte and the 3.8, everything seems to be in the exact same place. I'm sure if you wanted to dump enough money in you could drop a 3.8 L67 engine in, you'd only gain 30HP, but 70lbs of torque. But as BumpinMonte96 suggests, you could do a turbo, that'd get you more gains than a supercharger anyway, then you could show that Mustang GT that was messing with you who's boss!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Haha, good one

Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 PM

ill love to find a shop that can hook up the two turbos that i have that i have setting off to the side from my svo and turbo checken tbird. both are the same size rurbos but i will love to find a shop that is crazy enough to make me two turbo headers or a hook up for them on the piping to use them. pluse a tune for the pcm i will be so freaken happy

Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS
Well Mike, it just so happens I have a stock 3.8L Monte Carlo, and one night I pulled up to a stoplight and sitting next to me was a 3.5L Impala. He wanted to go, so I obliged, when the light turned green we both stomped on it, both of our cars squealed and lurched forward. I'm not sure if he was slow on reaction time or what, but I seemed to have gotten the jump on him, and I stayed about 5-10 feet ahead of him all the way to 90MPH when we finally let up, since it was a 35MPH zone. I've gotta say, you're right about the engine revving higher, I had the windows down too and I could hear that engine straining all the way up to close to 6,000RPM, kinda loud for a V6 when it's at WOT in stock form. I know the 2007 Impala (which is what I think he had) outweighs my car by about 200-300 lbs, but I had a passenger with me that night too, so the weights were about equal. So from my personal experience, stock vs stock, the 3.8 and 3.5 are pretty evenly matched, although the torque, weight difference, and gearing gives the 3.8 a slight edge I believe. Just thought you'd like to know. xD
I rarely log in but im on here alot.. Anyways that sounds kinda weak lol JK. But seriously the reason why I way that is this...

About a month after i got my 3.5 monte my buddies mom got an impala ltz so of course being young and dumb we gotta run them. My car was bone stock(Stock intake, factory single exit exhaust, etc) except I had the k&N Drop in filter.

His Mom's impala was stock too (3.9, factory dual exit exhaust, 18s, etc)

Anyways we ran them from a dead stop. He got a better jump then i did but i was able to eat it back up and stay a half length ahead all the way to 100.

We did it again and both of us started at the same time and I had him by 3/4's of a length to 90 (my radar went off lol).

At the time i thought we both had the same motor (pre mcf days but as it turns out she does in fact have the 3.9. Before you ask yes i have seen the 3.9 in it.

Now the only thing I can say for my car is that it was broken into really hard. I got it with 30 miles on it and I dogged it the first 500 miles. Seriously i got a pic of the speedo reading 110 with 74 miles on the odometer. Its got 50,000 on it now and no probs yet other than a couple sets of warped rotors.

ANd before anyone asks why i dogged it the first 500.. My dad was a cop in auburn, al for a long time. and when they got new cars in (they werent theirs so why not. lol) they dogged them and they could always tell which ones had been dogged at break in and which ones werent because the dogged ones were a lil bit faster.

Now i know ill get scowled for this post by people who know more than me but just my two cents..

Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I recently drove an Impala 3.5L last weekend when my friend bought one. There is no way in hell that car could keep up with my Monte. I was actually surpirsed. I figured it would feel identical to my car as far as acceleration goes...totally NOT the case. My car would take it no questions asked.

Yes, you are supposed to break them in easy...but all the new cars come pre-broken in from the factory.

I myself hit the speed limiter in my car on the way home from the dealer after buying my car. There was 93 miles on mine when I hit the speed limiter. And then it was redlined about 6 times that night as everyone I trust got to take it for a spin. LOL. After that I took it easy for the rest of the first 1,000 miles. But in all honesty, I drive my car hard all the time. But I am very good about maintaining it, and nake sure to drive it really easy when it is not fully warmed up. Once its warmed up, all bets are off! LOL!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=MAMONTE;175654]I recently drove an Impala 3.5L last weekend when my friend bought one. There is no way in hell that car could keep up with my Monte. I was actually surpirsed. I figured it would feel identical to my car as far as acceleration goes...totally NOT the case. My car would take it no questions asked.

QUOTE]

Exactly. Also I know this is a little bit different but my buddy dated a girl who had an 07 4 door pontiac g6 with the gm 3.5. And i raced it. Funny thing is that the g6 lists at 220 hp so i was kinda worried. lol. Her car was stock but on the pontiacs with the 3.5 the throttle body is still on the drivers side of the car like ours but the intake makes a u'turn right out of the tb and the air box and all is actually behind the passenger side headlight.

Anyways this was like 6 months ago so my car had magnaflow bolt on exhaust, cai, headers wrapped, rubber motor mounts rotated, 93 octane gas, and bf goddrich g-force super sport tires. My tires and hers were at 30 psi all the way around.

My buddy drove her car and I drove mine and needless to say it wasn't even close. Like seriously I had the g6 off the line and continued puting ground on it all the way to 110.

My buddy and I joke around saying that he lost sight of me lol. Idk if the 3.5 impala and 3.5 g6 are comparable or not but they should be pretty close and it would seem as if the g6 should be faster having 220 hp and all.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM

10 Year Member

Hmmm...

Well the Impala 3.5L is IDENTICAL to our 3.5L, infact the Impala in general is pretty much a 4-door version of our cars...only thing I can think of is that the Impala weighs more than our Monte's. Plus, maybe I just don't remember my Monte before the CAI and Exhaust...but I don't remember it ever feeling like the Impala did (as far as acceleration)

Now the G6 thing, I thought the G6 3.5L made 201HP? Unless they changed it in later years...??? I know the G6 3.5L does not use VVT like our 3500, also, I know the G6 3.5L is mated to the 4T45-E tranny, maybe they gear them differently than our cars. IDK. But I can tell you that I 100% believe that you beat the G6, because I had a 2009 G6 rental for a day while my car was at the dealer. Believe me, I beat on that thing all day long, and it was NOT as quick as my Monte, especially for highway passes. Off the line it did not feel that much different than our cars (at least to me it didnt) but on the highway, it could not even come close to compairing to my Monte...It favored grabbing 3rd gear for highway passes, and my Monte favors grabbing 2nd gear for highway passes!

Last edited by MAMONTE; 11-10-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Default monte vs impala

I think that the 3.9 in the impala is only 230 horse. I can tell you right now that my 3.9 tromps the 08 3.5 impala. I have driven the 3.5 and it definately would not keep up. I will run my 3.9 at the track soon as it opens next year. I agree the ls4 swap would be the way to go but i still wanna turbo my 3.9 and anyone else who wants one The monte 3.9 is the most powerful version of the 3.9 not by much but it is. I still gotta get my dynojet graph on here the power is so flat its awesome.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 AM

10 Year Member

The 06 Impala 3.9L is the same as the Monte 3.9L. Then in 07 the 3.9L dropped in horse power to 233 HP because they added Active fuel management to it.

I would expect that your 3.9L could take on any car with the 3.5L, it simply makes more HP, and torque.