Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Gen V - Cammed - E85 Build Begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteSS_Rider
I have experience with the L36, L26, and L67... the L36 was my original motor, and after going turbo it chipped 2 pistons about 8k mi after install. The L26 was in my car 3yrs and ended up blowing up as I was racing... looked like I had afterburners for an 1/8 mi or so. The L67 is my current motor and seems to be doing the best... I acredit this to lower compression. Although I do notice that my spool times are not as quick as they were with the higher compression motors.

Point being, L26 have a terrible reputation for failing/weak connecting rods. A lesson I learned the hard way, and it broke exactly as expected.

L67 - best
L32 - good
L36 - maybe
L26 - no way
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If you are having that many problems with your turbo and the blocks, I might have to attribute it to the tuning and not the block itself.
I would agree with Mike here, sounds like you may be having some detonation issues.

I've decided it will only be an L32 or L67, preferably an L32 due to powdered rods and such.

Ran to Ace, should be getting to work on the blower housing and snout today and prepping for paint. I'm going to paint an aluminum gray.

Also have an MPS, Northstar, LQ4 MAF and Gen V adapter plate on the way.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member

Went to Ace today and got some new stuff to get this snout off, going to need an impact though more than likely in order to get it off. You can also see the color I decided to paint, going to be a stock looking build but with some more accents of which will be seen when I get the engine. It's an aluminum silver.

time for cleaning by trewyn15, on Flickr

Went through a whole battery as well with the wire wheel, this thing is cleaning up surprisingly easy and well.

time for cleaning by trewyn15, on Flickr

Will get a bit more today and this weekend when I can get it apart fully and degrease the whole thing, hopefully paint this weekend as well.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Mitch - I am still trying to hunt down the LIM porting info and anything of value.

As an FYI, if you need bits for your Dremel, I have become addicted to WidgetSupply.com. Lots of great stuff, fairly cheap too!! I have a bunch of metal grinding bits and such.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Mitch - I am still trying to hunt down the LIM porting info and anything of value.

As an FYI, if you need bits for your Dremel, I have become addicted to WidgetSupply.com. Lots of great stuff, fairly cheap too!! I have a bunch of metal grinding bits and such.
Thanks for looking! I think I may just port the runners and clean them up some, just like I plan to do on the inlet and exit of the Gen V.

Thanks for the link, I'll be ordering from there right now!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 PM

I would agree with Mike here, sounds like you may be having some detonation issues.

I've decided it will only be an L32 or L67, preferably an L32 due to powdered rods and such.
He does have a bit of a point- the L26's have shown to be the weakest of the bunch, and seem to have an above average failure rate.

As for L67 vs L32 - just get whatever is in the best shape with the best mileage for the cheapest. The rods don't make any difference since rods aren't a major weak link in the system. People have made huge power on plain old cast L67 rods.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
He does have a bit of a point- the L26's have shown to be the weakest of the bunch, and seem to have an above average failure rate.

As for L67 vs L32 - just get whatever is in the best shape with the best mileage for the cheapest. The rods don't make any difference since rods aren't a major weak link in the system. People have made huge power on plain old cast L67 rods.
Thanks for the input! It's a real pain just finding something low miles and in good shape these days haha

I have my Northstar, Gen V adapter and LQ4 MAF, they could use some work and they will get that work done.

I'll get to it this weekend and post some pics

Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member

Did some dry fitting today, still need to wire wheel a lot of things as you can see and get everything painted.

Gen V and LIM are going to be aluminum silver.

TB and MAF will be painted black.

I plan to paint the Valve covers silver and the grooves black, or the opposite way, not sure which way yet.

Also gotta get a new MAF screen, but not overly worried about that.