Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Waxes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Waxes

I need to clay bar my car, but on the front on the hood, you can see where it was chipped and the past owner poorly filled in the spots, what if clay bar removes this???

Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Clay barring wont remove the touch up paint. to remove the old touch up the best way is to actually take laquer thinner to them. yes thinner. but you have to be carful with it. after that it will be dull. but the paint should be gone. {not the clear coat} this will free up the area. next you wanna get your touch up paint and a tooth pick. pretty much you will wanna color them in. this will take a bit longer than just dabbing it on. you will have to do this a few times to fill it all the way. then after its all filled and dry take some rubbing compound and some polish. rub the spots affected by the thinner. then polish the wholesurface and then wax the whole surface. complete and hopefully great looking!!!!!! DONT USE ICE. it is no good

Old 10-04-2008, 09:21 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Ya Turtle Wax ICE dosen’t last long at all. I will only use it just before a car show for a quick detail because like you said I can polish the whole car in about 20 min. When I detail my cars I start with claybar and then use number 9 on an orange foam pad with a porter cable orbital buffer. If I have deeper scratches I will use number 2 and then 9 (of course each polish has it’s own pad). Then I finish it off with NXT 2.0 wax. That stuff is incredible. It looks incredible on my red paint - it’s so bright in the sun it’s blinding. I also use that same method on my everyday driver my Mini Cooper S which has a metalic black paint. See pics below:

Old 10-04-2008, 11:08 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

ORIGINAL: inssanity21

Clay barring wont remove the touch up paint. to remove the old touch up the best way is to actually take laquer thinner to them. yes thinner. but you have to be carful with it. after that it will be dull. but the paint should be gone. {not the clear coat} this will free up the area. next you wanna get your touch up paint and a tooth pick. pretty much you will wanna color them in. this will take a bit longer than just dabbing it on. you will have to do this a few times to fill it all the way. then after its all filled and dry take some rubbing compound and some polish. rub the spots affected by the thinner. then polish the wholesurface and then wax the whole surface. complete and hopefully great looking!!!!!! DONT USE ICE. it is no good
thanks man ill have to try it!!

edit: your cars look incredible, mini s's ftw!!

Old 10-05-2008, 12:01 AM

you are officially my hero. i have always wanted a mini cooper s. if i didnt have the monte carlo ss i would have a 2009 mini cooper s! i would have it blue tho. i have wanted one since i was 12 years old. i dont know what it is about them i have always like them. if i could get one i would hands down. in fact when selling the carlo was looking more promising i went and test drove a mini s and i was absolutely in love. so you are officially my hero havein both a carlo and a mini. one day i will have my mini!!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:11 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Sorry for going off topic but minis are amazing as inssanity said, ive never been in one, but talked to the owner of a works s, amzing vehicle. Im definetly debating, mini or camaro....

Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Ive switched to Meguires NXT Tech wax, and am pretty happy with that. Definetly not as easy to use as the TW Ice, but that stuff just doesn't last.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:04 AM

DO THE MINI, they are always fun to drive..... if i had one id probably be in jail...but id hope im spart enough to not be....haha

Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I spy a '70 Mercury Cougar in the background!!! (always loved those cars)

I use the Meguiars Cleaner wax, like $7 a tube, works as well as anything else I've ever used. Used the Ice once, not worth the money. It actually left some streaks on my car in the wax that I never had with the Meguiars, so no more for me. A lot of people told me it was the man who applied it who was the problem with hte Ice (me), maybe they were right but I don't have problems at all with my Meguiars

Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 PM

it is definately the ice. it does suck on the paint. i will use it on my rims (not the stock aluminums) and on the mouldings. but on the paint never again. i hope it will help keep the mouldings from faiding and the wheels from getting as dirty as quickly.

cougars are very sharp lookin, what do they have in them?

Quick Reply: Waxes